cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

connection poor in other rooms of my house.

vcx20
4: Newbie

Hi been on my vf fibre for a week now and i have having a issue of connection drop in rooms of my house even though i have 2 or 3 bars of wifi.

Its perfect in living room but move to the bathroom or bedroom and i get dropouts.

I live in a bungalow and my router is centrally placed in living room i never had this issue with my old sky router so i guess maybe the vf one is poor build ? or could it be the beamforming thats the issue didnt have that on my sky router.

Any ideas 

Thanks .

16 REPLIES 16

eezyrider
4: Newbie

I have only been with VF  for 10 days but I realised within a couple of days that the WiFi was pretty poor. It was very hit and miss throughout our (small) house with just 2 of us using it.

I have now connected up my old BT home hub 6 as a second router to give a much better wifi throughout the house.

It's crazy really as it's only going through 2 walls and it shows 2 to 3 bars strength on wifi but I get the no internet connection works fine in living room .

The speed is fine on a plus note.

Now heres a interesting one my wife and daughter are sat in the bedroom my daughter is on a samsung tablet my wife on samsung galaxy s7 my daughters tablet is showing two bars signal strength and no connection drop my wife with 3 bars signal strength has had to switch off her wifi due to connection loss even with 3 bars my s7 also suffers the same connection problems.

Could there be some incompatibility issue with our samsung s7 phones and the vf routers wifi.

I'm afraid I'm not a techie, I tend to stumble along with the help of Google search.

However I think signal strength is only one half of the equation. On some of our devices it shows signal quality. With the VF router they were showing ''Fair'' signal strength but ''very poor'' quality.

I don't know if it would help but maybe you could go into router settings and change channel in case it's picking up interference from somewhere.

@vcx20 - download a wifi analyser onto your phone and check the signal strength as you roam around the house.  Also, look for other networks that could be using the same wifi channel.  Move the 2.4Ghz channel to 1, 6, or 11 based on which is the least congested.

OK will do I actually have one on my phone it's the dbm I have to check isn't it

Ok done a test 78dbm bedroom..........72dbm bathroom..........69dbm kitchen..........43 dbm living room.

I have read that switching the router to only 2.4 ghz gives better room penetration but less speed than 5 ghz aint done that yet though.

MrWhite
10: Established
10: Established

There's definitely a lot of difference between the lounge and bedroom, but I'd expect the devices to still work, but obviously speed would be lower.

Your devices should switch between 2.4 & 5 automatically, but you could try turning the latter off to see if that makes any difference by forcing the devices just to use 2.4.  You're correct, 2.4 has better range, but ower speeds than 5.

Tried 2.4 still as bad its a strange one as i have two bars strength but things just wont load in until you change your position i have even been stood in the kitchen phone in front of me with my body blocking line of sight to the router and had the same issue until i turned around then it works.

The actual connection to vf aint dropping its the wifi signal from the router is just awful.

I am still in my 30 days start of contract and am seriously considering cancelling my contract.

Never had this issue with my old sky router.