Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

home broadband dropouts, latency, below minium guaranteed speed

chilaspt
3: Seeker

After confirming the min guaranteed speed on the Vodafone website, - 73Mbps I signed up and had Vodafone installed on the 29th of January, I needed a new line, so we paid £60 for an engineer visit (according to the invoice).

An engineer never visited, and the line has been getting slower and slower. I've been keeping an eye on the Guaranteed speed for my address and it has changed twice since I installed the service, initially it was 73, something that I confirmed with Vodafone support via phone, I checked the guaranteed speed on the install date, and it had decreased to 62.58Mbps, and now it is down to 59.73Mbps

Vodafone says the line is fine, and that there was a problem and the guaranteed speed is no longer guaranteed, and vodafone seems to be moving (decreasing) the minimum speed target whenever its easier to do so instead of finding/fixing a fault.

I ran tests with 1st level support via phone, however they are limited to following the scripts that were made available to them, e.g. running a speed test, and expecting the download speeds to be higher than the Router Sync speeds??

I've spoken to 2nd level engineers, swapped microfilters, removed the faceplate to plug into the test port, but the sync speed has not changed, the PPP connection did not even drop on the Vodafone device when it was not plugged into the phone line... something Vodafone couldnt explain why...

Tried an openreach approved technicolor from a work colleague and the speeds, attenuation, and snr are the same.

I have been running ping/latency tests from the internet to the vodafone router at home, and i have packet loss, and high latency as can be seen here at random times of the day, when we are all sleeping at home, or at work, and the device is not in use.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/bdaf0f54c03cf34753c8bd0cdb8f7de3641ca887

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7564747f83f7168397bdb5a25cea142c41be3c36-14-02-2018

I do not have Wifi in use, (it is disabled, everything is cabled) here and 75% of our usage has been going through our Virginmedia line which was disconnected today.

DSL Connection

90.240.YYY.XXX
active
DSL Mode
VDSL
G.993.5 (VDSL)
DSL status information
Line status
Show Time
Link type
Fast path
Bit rate
  Downstream Upstream
Actual data rate63204 (Kbps.)16998 (Kbps.)
Operating data
  Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin6.1 dB6.6 dB
Loop Attenuation14.7 dB18.7 dB
Error counter
Indicator name Downstream Upstream
FEC Corrections41145760
CRC Error1121415

Can someone please let me know how to get all of this properly lookedinto?

- Paid for an engineer visit that never took place,

- Speeds below the Minimum Guaranteed speeds, which keep decreasing instead of having a fix put in place?

- PPPoE connection not dropping out when disconnecting router to swap filter? I took maybe a few seconds to swap it over, but would expect the PPPoE to drop out soon after the cable is disconnected? - this is obviously misleading to your customers, because if there is a temporary drop, if it is quick enough, then the Vodafone Router will not record it, and what normal users will see is a perfectly stable connection, when it is really not the case...

Thanks

Erick

6 REPLIES 6

chilaspt

Reposting as my previous post dissapeared from the message board and from my profile, as if was never posted :Sad_face:

This is the link to it and its contents are below in case it is fully deleted.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/home-broadband-dropouts-latency-below-minium-gu...

After confirming the min guaranteed speed on the Vodafone website, - 73Mbps I signed up and had Vodafone installed on the 29th of January, I needed a new line, so we paid £60 for an engineer visit (according to the invoice).

An engineer never visited, and the line has been getting slower and slower. I've been keeping an eye on the Guaranteed speed for my address and it has changed twice since I installed the service, initially it was 73, something that I confirmed with Vodafone support via phone, I checked the guaranteed speed on the install date, and it had decreased to 62.58Mbps, and now it is down to 59.73Mbps

Vodafone says the line is fine, and that there was a problem and the guaranteed speed is no longer guaranteed, and vodafone seems to be moving (decreasing) the minimum speed target whenever its easier to do so instead of finding/fixing a fault.

I ran tests with 1st level support via phone, however they are limited to following the scripts that were made available to them, e.g. running a speed test, and expecting the download speeds to be higher than the Router Sync speeds??

I've spoken to 2nd level engineers, swapped microfilters, removed the faceplate to plug into the test port, but the sync speed has not changed, the PPP connection did not even drop on the Vodafone device when it was not plugged into the phone line... something Vodafone couldnt explain why...

Tried an openreach approved technicolor from a work colleague and the speeds, attenuation, and snr are the same.

I have been running ping/latency tests from the internet to the vodafone router at home, and i have packet loss, and high latency as can be seen here at random times of the day, when we are all sleeping at home, or at work, and the device is not in use.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/bdaf0f54c03cf34753c8bd0cdb8f7de3641ca887

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7564747f83f7168397bdb5a25cea142c41be3c36-14-02-2018

I do not have Wifi in use, (it is disabled, everything is cabled) here and 75% of our usage has been going through our Virginmedia line which was disconnected today.

DSL Connection

90.240.YYY.XXX
active
DSL Mode
VDSL
G.993.5 (VDSL)
DSL status information
Line status
Show Time
Link type
Fast path
Bit rate
  Downstream Upstream
Actual data rate63204 (Kbps.)16998 (Kbps.)
Operating data
  Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin6.1 dB6.6 dB
Loop Attenuation14.7 dB18.7 dB
Error counter
Indicator name Downstream Upstream
FEC Corrections41145760
CRC Error1121415

Can someone please let me know how to get all of this properly lookedinto?

- Paid for an engineer visit that never took place,

- Speeds below the Minimum Guaranteed speeds, which keep decreasing instead of having a fix put in place?

- PPPoE connection not dropping out when disconnecting router to swap filter? I took maybe a few seconds to swap it over, but would expect the PPPoE to drop out soon after the cable is disconnected? - this is obviously misleading to your customers, because if there is a temporary drop, if it is quick enough, then the Vodafone Router will not record it, and what normal users will see is a perfectly stable connection, when it is really not the case...

Thanks

Erick

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

@chilaspt I'm really sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with your broadband. It sounds like you've been through all of our troubleshooting and home checks. 

We'll be happy to forward your query onto our Broadband team. So we can do this, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Thanks, 

I've completed the form as suggested, 

I also went onto the BT wholesale checker, and it seems that they say that it should only be close to 60 on an impacted line

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)  High Low High Low

VDSL Range A (Clean)8070.42019 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)80602018.3

again everything  points to it being easier to change the targets than to fix an underlying issue.

Erick

@TJ - I received a call from the social media team, who said 2nd level would call within 48 hours, turns out they called, but since coverage is poor with my mobile phone provider and since I'm using Wifi calling the packet loss I'm experiencing at home caused the call to drop and no one has called back since... this all happened on Saturday.

Seems the line "is still adjusting" - as in is getting slower sync speeds I assume to try and avoid packet loss?

I've counted and the modem only drops PPPoE connection after 20 seconds of it being unplugged from the phone line.

This is my broadband quality at the moment.

Happy with the transfer speeds at all times of the day. 

chilaspt

@TJ - I received a call from the social media team, who said 2nd level would call within 48 hours, turns out they called, but since coverage is poor with my mobile phone provider and since I'm using Wifi calling the packet loss I'm experiencing at home caused the call to drop and no one has called back since... this all happened on Saturday.

Seems the line "is still adjusting" - as in is getting slower sync speeds I assume to try and avoid packet loss?

I've counted and the modem only drops PPPoE connection after 20 seconds of it being unplugged from the phone line.

This is my broadband quality at the moment.

Happy with the transfer speeds at all times of the day. 

View more options

TJ

@chilaspt In the worst case scenario it can take up to 30 days for the line to settle completely. In this time, we're still trying to configure all of your settings to get the best ones for your router.

I'm sorry that your call dropped, if you pop us another email over we'll be happy to rearrange another call back for you.

Please continue to keep us updated and let us know how you get on.