cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

how do i buy / use a 3rd party router with vodafone?

stevesutton1989
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

hi guys and gals, 
i understand this roundabout question has been asked a few times, but so many things that either dont specify or just TMI 

basically wanting a new router, now alot of spouting only use open reach approved, is this concrete ? do i HAVE to use openreach or is it just preferred because they have been tested? 

also after a bit of window shopping i see some are modem combos, and some are not.. i almost purchased the rog rapture router but apparently i need a seperate modem for that one?

looking into this i find a lot of people talking about things i dont understand, they say get a modem off your ISP to connect to your router, aparently vodafone dont sell standalone modems, then people saying use existing router as a gateway, no idea how or why i need to do this and if it would defeat the object of faster response times that i want. since its going through 1 router to another surely i have the problems from my first router added to my new router? 

so yeah there it goes, i have my username and password, according to vodafone tech support i use a VDSL connection, this is what i came up with

http://www.very.co.uk/asus-dual-band-wireless-vdsl2adsl-modem/1600182771.prd

that being said alot of good reviews on this 

http://www.very.co.uk/netgear-nighthawk-x4s-smart-wifi-gaming-router/1600162192.prd?_requestid=30666...

but given my modem "confusion" i dont think this would work? i would have to buy a seperate modem or use some other tech wizz connecting to get it to work ? 

thanks for reading any clarification would be much appreciated

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

A person needs to speak to the Broadband Team for the password etc. 

This thread may also help.

Workaround-USE-YOUR-OWN-THIRD-PARTY-ROUTER.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

machare
13: Advanced Member

To use an alternative you router you will have to ask support for the connection userid and password.  Support will likely ask you which router on the BT Sin 498 approved list you intend to use. When you answer this question support will likely provide you with the details you need and tell you that they do not  provide help for non Vodafone devices.  It is best to keep the Vodafone router in case you have line problems and have to call support.

If you read other threads on this forum you can learn about what other equipment people are using and how they have configured it.