main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

imgur content not loading

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
1: Seeker

When I use the imgur app on my android phone, I can see images, but gifs do not load. However, on the same phone, on mobile data, or other WiFi (not Vodafone broadband), it works fine. 

Also, if I use my laptop on my Vodafone home WiFi, and go to imgur.com. I cannot load any images or gifs. 

This has been happening for around 2 weeks now. But as it is my main source of entertainment, I would really like this problem fixed.

Many thanks for any help.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
2: Seeker

Hi John,

There was a thread about this a while back, and it's something to do with Vodafone Broadband blocking imgur. I can't remember exactly why, but the workaround is just to change your DNS settings.

If you log into the router settings (192.168.1.1 password vodafone), then in Expert Mode, it's Internet > DNS & DDNS, then change Automatically to Manually. I'm using 8.8.8.8 which is the Google DNS.

Hope this helps

View more options
4 REPLIES

Hi John,

There was a thread about this a while back, and it's something to do with Vodafone Broadband blocking imgur. I can't remember exactly why, but the workaround is just to change your DNS settings.

If you log into the router settings (192.168.1.1 password vodafone), then in Expert Mode, it's Internet > DNS & DDNS, then change Automatically to Manually. I'm using 8.8.8.8 which is the Google DNS.

Hope this helps

View more options
1: Seeker

Yes, that fixed it all! Thank you so much!
Will this have a knock-on effect on anything else though?

View more options
4: Newbie

Yup - will make DNS lookup's quicker and generally improve your internet experience.

View more options

It's because Vodafone are "man in the middle" attacking your web traffic, and replacing the imgur https certificate with their own.

So Vodafone are able to inspect in clear text any traffic between you and imgur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

Changing your DNS servers does prevent Vodafone from doing this, but they shouldn't be even thinking about trying to do it in the first fffing place. 

View more options