Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

"http://vodafone.connect/?page=no_internet_connection.htm"

m1dlg
4: Newbie

I had a number of Chrome windows open while working on a huge project, in each Chrome window I had more than 50+ tabs, I have a PC that can happily do this without any issues thanks to the amount of RAM I have.

The router disconnected and while trouble shooting I rebooted my PC too, This would be fine except when it rebooted, I was still waiting the (excessive) time the router took to reboot (I could connect to Prestel in the 80's using 9.6K handset on modem cradle much faster than the Vodafone junk router does to do anything!) this issue caused a large number of my tabs to be lost because the router without my permission intercepted my browsing to change the page address of all open tabs to "http://vodafone.connect/?page=no_internet_connection.htm" And this isn't the first time this has happened. The tab ends up losing it's history so there is no back button. Some tabs include the original URL it was redirected from but I need to change the URL encoded text (%3A%2F%2F) back to valid ASCII. This is Extremely frustrating!

I need a way to prevent the intercepting when there is no connection (or for any other reason whatsoever) - I assume this is a DNS response within the router? I am the customer, I should decide if I am competent to know if my connection is broken or not (first clue is the T-Rex that you don't get with page interception ##~##) , without the router performing what does amount to a MITMA - that is I don't give concent for this, and I am not happy with it.

I'm not expecting anyone to actually agree or to help from Vodafone based upon previous experience here, but the rant helps - I am extremely peeved!

3 REPLIES 3

Joe
4: Newbie

@m1dlg Hi there. I understand how frustrating it is to lose any amount of data, especially when working on a large project. I can also confirm we're definitely not trying to intercept your information in a MITM attack. The Vodafone router is designed for general internet use and as standard isn't set up to allow the traffic that you're looking to send through the router on the standard UPnP.

If you have your own router. We'll be more than happy to give you your username and password so you can use your own equipment.

If you need any further information, please let us know.

Joe

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to think that working in the manner described is always going to leave open the risk of losing work.  If it has to be done this way then would using an extension such as "Web Scrapbook" for chrome at least be a better solution.

From a systems management point of view the majority of people struggle struggle to sensibly cope with complex interactions that have any more than seven component parts unless they use mind mapping tools and techniques.

I'm using vodafone's router and getting this on PC and Mac. I get it mostly when accessing secure websites via browsers and apps. Nothing has changed from 2 days ago, although I did have to reboot my server several times. Vodafone connections are never great, just good.