Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

ADSL router - very short power cable

smithpauld
4: Newbie

If Vodafone designers read this, please put a longer cable on your ADSL router power supplies.  My nearest power supply is about 6 feet from where the router needs to live and your cable simply isn't long enough.

15 REPLIES 15

MarkD

Thanks for the feedback @smithpauld. We're always looking for ways to improve our products and services, we'll get your feedback passed on using our internal system. 

For anyone needing to extend the cable, the connector is a 5.5x2.5 (5.5mm external, 2.5mm internal pin).  Be aware that almost identical 5.5x2.1 (smaller internal pin) will not work.

I have acquired several modem routers and power cables. Some with quite short leads. They all seem to interchange with each other so far running 12v. The difference seems to be in the amps rating from 0.5-3amp rating and a 3amp will be fine with all. The other options are to use a power extension lead or if you are competent (and only if so) carefully mark the (two wire) lead, cut it and add a length of two core cable to it. Obviously if it's Vodafone's plug it's their property so don't mess around with it!

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@elvenheart wrote:

if you are competent (and only if so) carefully mark the (two wire) lead, cut it and add a length of two core cable to it. Obviously if it's Vodafone's plug it's their property so don't mess around with it!

Unlike some ISPs Vodafone don't ask for their router back, so mess around all you like, 😉

I have the same problem - why is it so short? Can I get a longer one?

Jayach

@Rubyd3lR10_79

See this thread Power cables for routers - Community home (vodafone.co.uk) I gave a link to some cables that should be suitable.

I see this was dated 2021.  Yesterday May 2023 I have same problem. Why are you penny-pinching on a 1/2 meter or so of bog standard wire?

clearly after 2 years you still haven’t listened. 

CrimsonLiar

I guess it would also be nice if it was white rather than black!  Truth is though, that too long a lead can be just as annoying, and having long leads on a DC power adapter can mean the voltage falls sufficiently to cause issues.

*There are multiple similar posts to this on these boards.

** @Jayach In the "sorry to see you are leaving us" email I received from VF, there was a link allowing me to return the router for disposal, which I've done at the same time as picking up the BT Smart Hub 2 from my local collection point.

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

** @Jayach In the "sorry to see you are leaving us" email I received from VF, there was a link allowing me to return the router for disposal, which I've done at the same time as picking up the BT Smart Hub 2 from my local collection point.

Good to know they are taking their responsibilities under WEEE more seriously.

Was there a threat of charges, if you didn't return it, like with some ISP's ? (BT, SKY)