cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Activation failed. Phone works but no Internet.

Mrpez
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Took a new contract with Vodafone. 

Activation was meant to be 2 days ago. The Internet light on the router changed from red to flashing white and has continued like that for the last couple days. 

Phone works OK. 

I've also tried an openreach modem and direct wired connection to my laptop but no joy. 

What actually happens during activation? Having tried 2 sets of hardware it must be an issue at their end but I don't know what the process should be. 

I've spent hours on live chat and they're useless. Endless requests to reset the router and promises it'll be fixed in 24 hours.

Apparently it has been escalated to team 2, whatever that is, but still not working. 

I hate Vodafone. 

37 REPLIES 37

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Sounds like your Vodafone router hasn't been correctly provisioned (their name for registering it to your account).

Call them on 08080 034 515.

You won't be able to use a different modem/router unless you get your authentication credentials.

Thanks, I'll try calling. 

Not holding out much hope though!

I did get my login details and tried with an Asus router and openreach modem. I've had that combination working before with Vodafone, but not this time. 

Another hour on the phone and no difference 😔

Jayach

Welcome to the wonderful world of Vodafone (non)support.

Jayach

Were you contacted by the Openreach engineer on the day of the connection? Who were you with before?

I was told by Vodafone that I didn't need an engineer (so not really sure why it needed 10 days...). I've just moved into the property but I think the previous people had bt. Kinda wish I'd stayed with them! 

Had more calls with "support" and they've helpfully confirmed everything is fine! So not really sure where to go from here! 

Jayach

You don't necessarily need an engineer at the property, but he will make the connections at the exchange/cabinet  and give a courtesy call to let you know he's finished (at least that has been my experience) but maybe a new connection is treated differently to a swap.

I had a lot of problems when I joined and spent many hours watching the internet light flashing away. The sequence seems to be flashing red until it has made the DSL connection, then flashing white while whilst it authenticates..

If the authentication fails it repeats the above ad nauseam. If yours is constantly flashing white that would seem to be something different. Does the log give any clues?

I just logged onto the router and ran the diagnostic test (is that what you mean by log?)

This is the output:

Diagnosis Completed

LAN
Succeeded
Number of LAN devices:

WAN
Succeeded
WAN Mode
VDSL
Vodafone Wi-Fi Hub status
Connected
PPP connection
Disconnected
Telephone
Failed
USB
Succeeded
Number of USB devices:
Wi-Fi
Succeeded
Wi-Fi 2.4GHz:
Enabled
Wi-Fi 5GHz:
Enabled
Connectivity Test
Failed

Just thinking... The modem I have also tried is a BT Openreach 061513 model. That should work with VDSL right?

Its the Superfast 2 I went for, and I think previously I've only used it with ADSL.