Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband Activation - Never happened

neo4403
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I see there are several posts on failed broadband activation, I didnt know if it makes sense to open up another post but I thought I would atleast get a reply from Vodafone by doing this.

Vodafone disconnected our old broadband on activation date on 13 Nov and did not provide any service to us. 5 days without internet now, this is the first time in my life I am seeing such a worst migration process. Helpdesk is crap and broadband activation team dont care about my calls except reading a script - "Openreach will update again on so and so date". This is utterly ridiculous. Its my mistake that I havent seen the forum before placing the order with Vodafone otherwise I wouldnt have ordered.

How can Vodafone disconnect my old broadband if they cant activate new connection? I work in IT, seeing all this is mind boggling!!

Has anyone experiencing the same issues thought of complaining to Ofcom or the Ombudsman?

39 REPLIES 39

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Divizion wrote:

I keep getting confused as I refer to Mb/s as Megabytes per second, however in the ISP "advertising world" they refer to Mb/s but they mean (if they were to spell it out) Megabits per second.  Big difference as there are 8 bits in a byte...

Mb/s is Megabits per second. MB/s is Megabytes per second
@ Jayach I was on ADSL with SKY.  Vodafone speed quote was what was on the website at the time for "Superfast 2".  I registered online.

I have recently transferred fro Sky ADSL also.

@ Evie Thanks, however I'm concerned at how no one came out from Openreach to physically disconnect me from SKY to connect me to Vodafone on my activation date.

The transfer takes place at the cabinet/exchange not at your home. The copper wire from the cabinet to your home doesn't change.

You should be getting a sync speed close to 80 Mbs . Are you quoting downloads speeds over WiFi, you should be testing on a wired (Ethernet) connection. It should be in the high 60's at least.

Can you post your Line Quality stats from the router, they should look like this.

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate79999 kbps20000 kbps
Maximum Rate81317 kbps29553 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio5.9 dB11.9 dB
AttenuationDS1 9.0 dB, DS2 21.9 dB, DS3 34.1 dBUS0 2.1 dB, US1 15.1 dB, US2 24.5 dB
Power12.8 dBm4.4 dBm
CRC Errors in last 22372 minute(s)217277
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)00
R (number of bytes in RS code word)100
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)0.09390.3819
D (interleaver depth)81
Delay0 ms0 ms

@ Jayach

Stats taken from my router this afternoon.  My PC and AV Receiver are always using ethernet.  Only my mobile phones are using WIFI.

Line Quality

Downstream

Upstream

Current Rate

76367 kbps

20000 kbps

Maximum Rate

91273 kbps

30485 kbps

Signal-to-Noise Ratio

5.9 dB

12.3 dB

Attenuation

DS1 6.7 dB, DS2 16.3 dB, DS3 25.6 dB

US0 4.3 dB, US1 14.1 dB, US2 21.2 dB

Power

13 dBm

1.6 dBm

CRC Errors in last 3025 minute(s)

K (number of bytes in DMT frame)

R (number of bytes in RS code word)

S (RS code word size in DMT frame)

D (interleaver depth)

Delay

8 ms

0 ms

Jayach

Well your sync speed is fine and your download speed should be about 90-95% of that. I get about 70Mbs on my sync of 80Mbs.

Strange your interleave is so high, there have been a few post on here recently with a high interleave but I don't know if that would cause the download speed to suffer.

The VF router has Gigabit Ethernet ports whereas the Sky ADSL router probably didn't, I wonder if that would cause problems if your cables are not cat 5e (probably not I'm just trying to think of all possibilities).

Your phone is probably using the 5Ghz band and I find that very good on the VF modem, getting download test speeds comparable to wired. The 2.4Ghz wireless is not so good.

Many people on here complain of poor download speeds at peak times, my speed drops to about 30Mbs some evenings so carry out some test at different times of the day.

My Sky router Model ER115 has 2 x 1Gbit Ethernet ports.

My PC has an Intel L211 Gigabit ethernet port (using CAT 5e ethernet cable)

My Pioneer AV Receiver has a 100mb ethernet port (using CAT 6a ethernet cable)

My Xiaomi mi a1(Android One) phone is 5Ghz WIFI

My HTC ONE X (Android 4.2.2) phone is 2.4Ghz WIFI

I expected more from Vodafone Superfast 2 hence why it felt slow.

Jayach

So what speeds are you currently getting? I know you said 8.5 Mb/s but I think there was some confusion between Mb/s and MB/s. Speedtest.net is a good as any for testing.

When I said 8.5Mb/s I meant 8.5 megabytes.  I was looking at the browser downloading a file and an app call "Free Download Manager".   I'm used to talking in megaBYTES.

Speedtest.net gave me figures of:

Download in the 60's mb/s

Upload fairly steady 18.5mb/s

Doing Speedtest again just now was:
Ping ms - 25
Download Mbps - 68.64
Upload Mbps - 18.77

Jayach

This is mine at the moment https://www.speedtest.net/result/10483309820 very similar to yours. (and that is over 5Ghz wifi.) Here it is over 2.4Ghz https://www.speedtest.net/result/10483335811

Your higher ping may be due to your high interleave. Your line may stabilise over the next few days as you will still be in DLM.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @neo4403 and @adsb - It's disappointing to hear you guys are still waiting for your broadband to become active - So that we can check on the status of this, could you contact us on social media

@Divizion It's great that you're up and running with your broadband now, but I understand you're want to be getting the speeds you're paying for! Within the first 10-days of being set up you may experience slower speeds, if after this time period you are still having speed issues please drop us a message social media 😊

When contacting us on social media please be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username so you're not having to repeat yourselves.

Evie Contacted via Twitter 2 hours ago, nothing heard, updated with this url plus username adsb... hit me up 🙂

@Evie

I contacted via twitter on Tue, they asked me for my VF account number on Weds which I provided on the same day. Only Friday they messaged asking for my personal details which I refused to provide in Twitter. I am not a fan of  Social Media and certainly not a fool to post personal details in social media. I believe the account number will suffice for your technicians to investigate if they really want to. I didnt receive any update till now. VF team should be ashamed of all these customer complaints. I dont understand why your systems cant provide enough detail and you have to use social media to offer support? Is this an excuse to avoid customer complaints or marketing stunt?  VF's CEO is marketing across the globe about the good things he is doing but turning a blind eye to current problems. What is after social media? Star Trek !!!