main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband activation

DNS servers caused activation problems

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Switched to VF vdsl broadband and landline on Wednesday. Hopefully my experience will help others.

Overall very simple. Initially during the changeover keep my own modem/router connected to the internet using 3G/4G LTE.

- Plugged in the VF router and switched the cable over then switched on the router. The internet light soon changed to solid white signaling an internet connection.

- Using wifi connected to the router and start a browser. Immediately a message came up in the browser from BT wholesale saying that the login had failed.

- Then received a message from VF giving me my new static ip. Tried the browser and now seemed to get no connection at all.

- Logged into the VF router and checked the status of the connection which said everything was ok.

- Tried using my 3G/4G LTE connection to access a webserver I have running on my network using the new static ip. Connected no problem.

- Decided to change the dns servers to Google’s 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Everything then worked!!

- Switched the cable back to my own modem/router and logged inusing the username and password provided by VF.

- Again could load any pages in browser except for VF’s own pages.

- Noted that logging into VF had changed the dns servers so changed back to my normal ones and everything worked.

So the problem of broadband apparently not working was down to the dns servers. So I would suggest that anyone having problems activating their BB should try changing the dns servers to standard ones such as Googles.

View more options
3 REPLIES 3

Sorry posted to quickly 

Again could load any pages in browser except for VF’s own pages. SHOULD HAVE READ

Again could NOT load any pages in browser except for VF’s own pages.

View more options

For completeness These are the DNS servers that I am connected to if I do not specify manually:

Primary DNS IPv4 Address  90.255.255.90
Secondary DNS IPv4 Address 90.255.255.255

They still do not seem to work
Do these servers work for other VF users?
View more options
4: Newbie

@db007 wrote:

For completeness These are the DNS servers that I am connected to if I do not specify manually:

Primary DNS IPv4 Address  90.255.255.90
Secondary DNS IPv4 Address 90.255.255.255

They still do not seem to work
Do these servers work for other VF users?

For myself these work sometimes but not always.

So like yourself, I manually set my routers dns to googles or other name servers.

Many other VF users have suffered the same issue and I have noticed on this forum, it is common for VF staff to instruct cumtomers to change dns to google servers.

View more options