Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

DNS servers caused activation problems

db007
2: Seeker

Switched to VF vdsl broadband and landline on Wednesday. Hopefully my experience will help others.

Overall very simple. Initially during the changeover keep my own modem/router connected to the internet using 3G/4G LTE.

- Plugged in the VF router and switched the cable over then switched on the router. The internet light soon changed to solid white signaling an internet connection.

- Using wifi connected to the router and start a browser. Immediately a message came up in the browser from BT wholesale saying that the login had failed.

- Then received a message from VF giving me my new static ip. Tried the browser and now seemed to get no connection at all.

- Logged into the VF router and checked the status of the connection which said everything was ok.

- Tried using my 3G/4G LTE connection to access a webserver I have running on my network using the new static ip. Connected no problem.

- Decided to change the dns servers to Google’s 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Everything then worked!!

- Switched the cable back to my own modem/router and logged inusing the username and password provided by VF.

- Again could load any pages in browser except for VF’s own pages.

- Noted that logging into VF had changed the dns servers so changed back to my normal ones and everything worked.

So the problem of broadband apparently not working was down to the dns servers. So I would suggest that anyone having problems activating their BB should try changing the dns servers to standard ones such as Googles.

7 REPLIES 7

db007

Sorry posted to quickly 

Again could load any pages in browser except for VF’s own pages. SHOULD HAVE READ

Again could NOT load any pages in browser except for VF’s own pages.

db007

For completeness These are the DNS servers that I am connected to if I do not specify manually:

Primary DNS IPv4 Address  90.255.255.90
Secondary DNS IPv4 Address 90.255.255.255

They still do not seem to work
Do these servers work for other VF users?

@db007 wrote:

For completeness These are the DNS servers that I am connected to if I do not specify manually:

Primary DNS IPv4 Address  90.255.255.90
Secondary DNS IPv4 Address 90.255.255.255

They still do not seem to work
Do these servers work for other VF users?

For myself these work sometimes but not always.

So like yourself, I manually set my routers dns to googles or other name servers.

Many other VF users have suffered the same issue and I have noticed on this forum, it is common for VF staff to instruct cumtomers to change dns to google servers.

elvenheart

Hi, just to confirm with db007; I was just activated on Vodafone broadband having moved over from Plusnet. I planned to use my own router and entered my new username and password and it would not connect. I plugged in Vodafone's Hub and all worked fairly quickly. I then ran a DNS test on various servers to find the best (fastest) ones to use with Vodafone and found BT and Plusnet servers nolonger respond. Obviously they don't seem to like Vodafone or Vodafone doesn't like BT!

I haven't tried it yet, but as db007 has suggested,  if I change my old routers DNS Servers which were pointing at BTs, it probably will work again. Very Odd that all BT DNS Servers are rejected?

Just to add the reason why I stopped using Googles DNS servers, although very good, Google are one of the slowest and there are faster alternatives.  Each DNS server offers different properties like security etc.  Your location and different times of the day will give different results but for me its is presently:-

y.ns.gin.ntt.net  (NTT-COMMUNICATIONS-2914, US)  129.250.35.251 & 129.250.35.250

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, guys, so a quick heads up on Vodafone and DNS!

The 90.255.255.90 and 90.255.255.255 DNS servers sit within Vodafone's own networks as such they should be about the fastest DNS servers you'll see. Also, if you use your own router, having the VF DNS servers as the WAN DNS can help your modem log in quicker! Provided you don't use content filtering they are pretty reliable too. But DNS speed isn't everything, in fact, once you've found your site, it's pretty much a nothing. The basics of DNS is that it simply takes those easy to remember web addresses and changes them into IP addresses, once you've got that ip address - job done! So if you want malware filtering or family-friendly DNS, then the fastest may not be the best.

If you still want to play with with DNS servers in a none probing way you could try downloading Gibson Research: DNS Benchmark

*So says the person who while claiming not to be paranoid runs twin Pi-Holes, Unbound, and Skynet!

**Pi-Hole did not used to work with the HHG-2500 modem/router.  The used to require a WAN based DNS and not a LAN one.  This may have changed, but if it has I am unaware!

THG3000-IPv6
4: Newbie

On my THG3000 running Firmware version 19.2.0307 I have changed the DNS to CloudFlare (CF) 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and all is working.

You can then check on their Help website:
https://1.1.1.1/help