main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband activation

Keeping my home phone number when moving to VF

2: Seeker

Hi 

I have just signed up for Vodafone home broadband (switching from SSE, BT line) and am now a little worrried about losing my home phone number, when I signed up online as far as I know there was no option to keep my number I just assumed it would be retained as it usually has been default when switching providers in the past.

I received the welcome letter and was alarmed to see the number was going to change, I immediately called VF home broadband support where I was greeted by a lady with a foreign accent and a clear language barrier was present, she said she would have a look if she could place the request, she came back after a short while and said the request for the number had been made and I would get a progress email to confirm in the next day or so, 3-4 days later still not had the email so called again, without being rude or politically incorrect the lady was again someone who lacked complete English language skills and it was hard to explain why I was calling, again she went away to check and cam back saying my mobile number had been transferred to the new sim as requested, this was another matter which I had asked for a few days before so I explained it was the home phone number I was asking about, she asked me if I wanted her to make a new request to transfer the number, at which point I asked if it had not yet been made as I was previously been led to believe, this did not fill me with confidence, she put me on hold and after a while she came back saying rather unconvincingly that the request had been made and had completed but it won’t kick in until the line is actually taken over by activating with the new number and then a few seconds later will revert to the old number, but she didn’t seem sure herself?!

Now after reading about how many people have lost their numbers when switching landlines to VF and how they have been constantly reassured that the number will be working upon activation and then it isn’t I am now worried that this may be the case with my number.

is there anyone I can speak to who can speak proper English to find out what is the real status with my order and if indeed I will be retaining my number?

My missus works from home and the number is also used as her business number so to lose it would be devastating to her business.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Andy

View more options
8 REPLIES 8
17: Community Champion

Hi @Awaddon

Your right to be confident that after everything is processed you'll be able to retain your home number. 

After Vodafone take over the line if they apply the new number and the old number does not get activated there is a real risk of losing that number. 

Unfortunately as part of Vodafone T&C's they do state under the Activation Clause. Screenshot_20180412-054248_Dropbox.jpg

The person you spoke to what it from the dedicated Broadband Team on 08080 034 515 for Home Broadband support (free from all UK landlines and mobiles) ?

We do have a Vodafone Social Media Team here who read all posts. They might be able to intercede once they catch up with your thread. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
8: Helper

@Awaddonwrote:

Hi 

I have just signed up for Vodafone home broadband (switching from SSE, BT line) and am now a little worrried about losing my home phone number, when I signed up online as far as I know there was no option to keep my number I just assumed it would be retained as it usually has been default when switching providers in the past.

I received the welcome letter and was alarmed to see the number was going to change, I immediately called VF home broadband support where I was greeted by a lady with a foreign accent and a clear language barrier was present, she said she would have a look if she could place the request, she came back after a short while and said the request for the number had been made and I would get a progress email to confirm in the next day or so, 3-4 days later still not had the email so called again, without being rude or politically incorrect the lady was again someone who lacked complete English language skills and it was hard to explain why I was calling, again she went away to check and cam back saying my mobile number had been transferred to the new sim as requested, this was another matter which I had asked for a few days before so I explained it was the home phone number I was asking about, she asked me if I wanted her to make a new request to transfer the number, at which point I asked if it had not yet been made as I was previously been led to believe, this did not fill me with confidence, she put me on hold and after a while she came back saying rather unconvincingly that the request had been made and had completed but it won’t kick in until the line is actually taken over by activating with the new number and then a few seconds later will revert to the old number, but she didn’t seem sure herself?!

Now after reading about how many people have lost their numbers when switching landlines to VF and how they have been constantly reassured that the number will be working upon activation and then it isn’t I am now worried that this may be the case with my number.

is there anyone I can speak to who can speak proper English to find out what is the real status with my order and if indeed I will be retaining my number?

My missus works from home and the number is also used as her business number so to lose it would be devastating to her business.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Andy

Hello Andy,

I'd be more worried about the speed and general stability of their broadband network than losing your number. Honestly, their performance (versus what I signed up for) on all fronts was an utter shambles from start to finish.

On VF I was getting 12mbit-0.29mbit (on a 74mbit line), on BT i'm getting 55-65mbit. The VF router is also terrible versus a Homehub.

Hope you fare better than many of us did/are!

View more options

Thanks for the replies

I think I might just cancel this order then, there seem to be a lot of unhappy people with regards to the home phone and broadband might go back to BT

thanks again

Andy

View more options

HI,  I know this is several days later but I'd recommend cancelling before any changes are made to your landline.  I got the same information as you - i.e. we'd activate after the line goes live.  Wish I'd considered this more carefully before losting my landline number.

I know they have the standard blurb of "we'll try to keep your number" but if it's wrong on the order confirmation to begin with, before the process of requesting to transfer number from existing supplier has even been initiated, how the heck can it be right.  I lost my number, it's an absolute nightmare  

View more options

I apologise for the delay in getting everything resolved for you. We'll be more than happy to take a look into your account and check on the progress of your port in @Awaddon

So we can do this, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us directly.

View more options

Well I was too late to do anything about cancelling the switch over!, apparently the 48 hours stated on the welcome letter that are needed to cancel are “working hours” so that’s actually 4 days!!!!, of course today it has gone live and the number is not my old one and again I found myself calling VF to ask about it, the girl said the request to port my number had been put on incorrectly and so was rejected!, so she said she would put another request on which should take around 72 hours ( I forgot to ask if that was “working hours”), so at the moment I am stuck with a different number, hopefully the next week will get it back or I shall be cancelling just due to poor service, as for the broadband I plugged the router in and after a couple of reboots it connected and speed is ok, but varying between 25-40mb, so not the 55mb I was guaranteed on the signup form on the website, I shall be contacting them again for the discount as advertised until it’s fixed!

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you've had problems switching your service over @Awaddon. So we can look into both transferring your home number and helping with your speed issue, please get in touch by following the instructions in the private message I've sent.

View more options
4: Newbie

I fully empathise with your predicament and that's one of the reasons I've opted to have my landline ported to a Voip solution ( in my case Vonage ). I've had a few hairy moments in the past too whereas I had to cancel a migration because they ( varous companies) couldn't guarantee keeping my landline number which was imperative to keep.

Now I have the freedom to hop as soon as a price increase is announced from one ISP to the next, searching the best deal whilst my landline number is unaffected.

However porting wasn't all plain sailing as you can see from this article I wrote about my experience on hubpages >  https://hubpages.com/technology/Is-the-UK-market-competitive-enough-for-Voip-Decoupling-my-phone-num...

View more options