main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband activation

Moving to another broadband & phone supplier. VF wants router back...

3: Seeker

Hi, my agreement ended last December and have paid for the last 3 months on a rolling bill. Last month I signed up to a new supplier and are being switched over tomorrow (3rd April).

I have since received an email from Vodafone requesting I return my old router back to them:

"We’re very sorry to hear you’re planning on leaving us. If you’re having second thoughts, please call us free on 191 from a Vodafone mobile or 08080 034 515from any other UK mobile or landline.

If your heart’s set on leaving, we’ll need you to return your Vodafone Broadband router. Depending on what we’ve agreed, simply post it back to us using either the returns bag or label we’ve sent you. You’ll need to securely pack the router in its original packaging, including all cables, accessories, the power supply and booklet.

When posting your router back to us, remember to ask for proof of postage and hang on to this until your return is all sorted. Also, please bear in mind that if we don’t receive your router within 30 days of us disconnecting your Vodafone Broadband, you’ll need to pay a £72.00 charge.

If you didn’t request to cancel your broadband, or if you’re considering your options, please call us free on 191 from a Vodafone mobile or 08080 034 515from any other UK mobile or landline."

Well for a start I dont have any of the original packaging etc since Ive had the router for 20 months, and its experienced a few scrapes in this time. I dont mind returning it but I am a bit confused as to how this £72 charge/fine will come in If I dont as I am well out of my agreement period.

Hope someone can shine some light into this.

Thanks.

*EDIT: Ive just read several other threads and see I am not the only one in this situation. Also the non receipt of return bags too*

View more options
8 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

It's true there are similar posts of people trying to give back the router. 

I'm assuming Vodafone could use the direct debit set up or send you a bill. What my concern is if they levy the charge and can't collect they could in the extreme involve a debt management company or add a default. 

What makes the process harder is that a person cannot return the router to a highstreet store like they can do with a phone - why is beyond me.  

I'm sure it wouldn't matter regarding no packagingbas long as it's wrapped well. Take time and date stamped pictures of it. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
8: Helper

@BandOfBrotherswrote:

It's true there are similar posts of people trying to give back the router. 

I'm assuming Vodafone could use the direct debit set up or send you a bill. What my concern is if they levy the charge and can't collect they could in the extreme involve a debt management company or add a default. 

What makes the process harder is that a person cannot return the router to a highstreet store like they can do with a phone - why is beyond me.  

I'm sure it wouldn't matter regarding no packagingbas long as it's wrapped well. Take time and date stamped pictures of it. 

Regardless of the process, which they continue to not follow themselves, I'll be returning mine to a Vodafone store, with accompanying video of me doing so. They can work out where it needs to be sent internally, they've caused me (and all of us here) enough inconveniences.

It's the same registered business, so makes no difference from a legal perspective.

View more options

Hey @Yeando - I'm sorry to hear you're leaving us. Have you received your returns pack yet?

View more options

No not yet, I only received the initial email on the 1st April .Like I said I don't mind returning it as it's redundant now (switched over today).. Just odd that's it's required after the contract already ended 3 months ago. 

View more options
13: Advanced Member

In the T&Cs  it says:

"Return of Equipment. If the Home Broadband and Phone Services are terminated by you or us prior to your service activation date or during the 30 day cooling-off period then you must return any Broadband Equipment to us within 30 days of the service being disconnected. If you do not return the equipment within 30 days or if it is damaged, you will be charged as reasonable fee as set out in the Price Plan."

So presumably there is no requirement to return the equipment after the cooling off period.

View more options

I switched to BT a couple of weeks ago and I too am now receiving these mails requesting the router back (two mails in the same day today in fact).

Absolutely nothing in my original T&Cs that states the equipment remains the property of VF and must be returned if service is cancelled after the minimum 18 month term. No other ISP that I have ever dealt with insists on the return of their cheap router (except Virgin who clearly state that you're renting their TV and internet equipment) and it's certainly not worth £72!

From a WEEE directive perspective, VF have a responsibility to offer a way for customers to return electronic equipment supplied to them for recycling if the customer so wishes, but the directive does not give VF the right to penalise customers who choose not to return that equipment. VF may well have changed their policies recently and decided that the routers will remain their property but that is certainly not true in our cases.

Oh, and the elusive returns bag has not arrived through my letterbox either.

I contacted chat services earlier who were useless and could only offer to send out the bag. They were completely unable to answer my questions about why the router must be returned or face a charge. Was just told to contact the callcentre which I guess I'll have to do.

Service and performance has been so poor over the past 19 months that I 'm seriously considering moving the whole family's mobile contracts when those contract's end in September.

View more options

As we'll need access to your account to help you return the router @IndecisiveDave, please get in touch with us by following the instructions in this private message.

View more options
12: Established

this is wrong on so many levels the router remains the property of vodafone when you are in contract not after your contract has ended 

you need to complain to the complaints department 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints/code-of-practice

View more options