Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New Fiber BroadbandEngineer Visit

RodinLouis
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I had an engineer appointment scheduled for between 13:00 and 18:00 on Thursday 4th August (today). Arrangements had been made to ensure that someone was home all day. I contacted Vodafone representatives via chat to enquire about what was going on as the engineer had not been to my property. I was told different things by the representative including "the engineer is testing your line remotely to repair the fault with your fiber" and "it can take up to 24 hours for the fibre broadband to be active". 

I was asked if this was OK and this is the best resolution to my enquiry. 

A fault was not the issue. My reply was "the best solution was to have an engineer start the installation from the start point in my local area, connect to the outside of my property and install a box inside my house, to which the router is connected.

You CANNOT fault find or activate a service that hasn't even been installed. 

I am totally lost for words as to how I can be told this "fault" and "remote work" as a valid reason. The representative couldn't even confirm or deny that my installation would happen today, seeing as it was 21:40 on 4th August 2022 (installation and activation date). 

I was also told that after 30 days of activation, suitable compensation would be looked at for the inconvenience... I still don't know when or even if its is going to be installed, as "connection was lost". 

If I miss a payment for services provided, I am penalised with being blocked from phone and data and fines with a late payment fee, plus the late payment shows on my credit file. What happens when this kind of situation happens? Is it contract breach? Is it a case of "suck it up buttercup"? I now do not have a broadband provider, as it has been taken over by Vodafone. 

The only compensation I would like is to have the service promised and contracted to, to be provided in a timely manner. 

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I assume you are referring to a new full fibre (FTTP) connection.

Is it Openreach or CityFibre?

Automatic compensation should be provided if it is Openreach, not so for CityFibre.

Automatic compensation for Home Broadband | Vodafone

If your previous supplier has stopped, was it you or Vodafone that arranged the cancelation?

Yes. It's a new full fibre (FTTP) connection.

I don't know if it's Openreach or CityFibre?

Vodafone arranged the cancelation. I notified my previous supplier out of courtesy. They said it will stay active until Vodafone take it over. 

Jayach

What have you been quoted for up/download speeds? CityFibre will be the same up/down, Openreach slower on the up than down.

@RodinLouis wrote:

Vodafone arranged the cancelation. I notified my previous supplier out of courtesy. They said it will stay active until Vodafone take it over. 

And it has already stopped?

Turns out it's Openreach. Now I've been told that engineering work has to happen at the green box which could be as late as Monday. I have to call Vodafone after 4pm on Monday to confirm that the work has been completed and then book another engineer visit for installation.

My previous supplier has not released the line as yet or cancelled my account down. After speaking to them today, they have assured that standard broadband will still be live until Vodafone take the line. I have until Friday of next week (12th August) or I will be charged another month, which I think is only fair. 

Jayach

@RodinLouis wrote:

My previous supplier has not released the line as yet or cancelled my account down. After speaking to them today, they have assured that standard broadband will still be live until Vodafone take the line. I have until Friday of next week (12th August) or I will be charged another month, which I think is only fair. 

As you are moving from FTTC to FTTP they won't necessarily know when Vodafone take over. As it's Openreach they may inform them, but I wouldn't rely on it. As soon as Vodafone is working, give them a ring.

Ripshod

The way I read it the engineers are testing for a fault on a fibre connection that isn't even installed yet? Another example of the vodafone madness.

Did you order online? I had to call the number from the Vodafone advert to get my connection after three failed online orders.

You couldn't make this up. 

Jayach

If Openreach FTTP has only recently gone live in the area, it's possible there were problems they didn't discover until they started to connect people. There is often things happening in the background that Vodafone won't know about.