Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New Router THG3000 fails to connect, despite white light and WIFI connection

goslings
4: Newbie

Spent THREE nights trying to swap out my old router for this new THG3000 router before shift to Superfast 2 BB.

Generates WIFI and white light for internet,connection via WIFI to IMac & through 192.168.1.1 portal to router.

But the Diag tool fails on Connectivity, and therefore no connection to Internet, despite white light !!!

Chatted to Vodafone earlier today; they had to perform steps to enable it to be "plug and play".

Tried again tonight and still no joy, there is no way to respond to the transcript of the chat or get any support.

Reverted back to old router and patchy WIFI coverage (the new one is meant to be vast improvement) 

But what a joke; should be a simple swap out old for new, reconfigure split SSID's/passwords and away you go.

How can something be so difficult.

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @goslings 

Now I'm a pretty much plug and play type of user so I won't try and give you technical advice, however these are previous threads about routers which may help.

My apologies if they do not.

HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-VDSL. 

THG3000-No-Internet. 

The Broadband Team are available to call 08080 034 515  (free from all UK landlines and mobiles) with lines open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week.

Broadband-and-Home-Phone-FAQs. 

The Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries will also be able to help.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

goslings
4: Newbie

Third call to Vodafone, they said it was fixed.

been trying for 3 hours, connection made to internet finally. 

Appears you MUST press reset pin and watch all lights go out then release before it will work !!!!!! nowhere is this in the docs. Don't press too long or you will reset and loose all your settings !!!! 

Previously I split the WIFI into two; Wifi-1 (Main)  for users & wifi-2 "Just for sky Q"

However, SKY Q system with this THG30000 router will not connect to it, finally had to do a factory reset on the SKY Q box.

Still no joy, so I made the Main for SKY and wifi-2 for users, success !!!!! 

Thought I had cracked it, but when connected to wifi-2 I cannot access the router 192.168.1.1, it appears you must be connected to wifi-1. Tried this both on MAC and Ipad same result.

Then massive problems with the Sky Q mini connecting.

This all works seamlessly with the older router

The only reason for this new router was I was told it had improved Wifi, but it is just not worth it.

Last attempt will be to do a factory reset and try with the default SSID channel names, I've come across this previously with router.

Given that it is 1.5 times longer than the HHG2500, it is a real pain in the @@@@ to set up.  

Might just revert to the HHG2500 - even the lights are better ! 

No joy with this THG3000 router, reverted again to the old router HHG2500 and all work perfectly.

Connected to internet but SkyQ just would not accept connection 

SKY Q on the wifi-2; all other on the wifi-1 (Main) network 

SKY Broadband wifi Booster also connected to provide wifi boost just to SKY Q on wifi-2 (our minis kept dropping out previously, suggested by SKY engineer).

So I see no requirement to use new router with Superfast 2 (yet to see any speed increase though) 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @goslings I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty getting your new router connected, it sounds like this might be an issue at our end. So we can take a closer look, pop us a private message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to help 😊

sorry I do not use FB or Twatter .... and I only swap these things over once everyones has gone to bed.

Yesterday I spoke at length with Vodafone, who assured me the service would be up and running today and a new router will arrive. It did at 18:15 today !!

And tonight I have again tried to set this new router up exactly the same was as the old one, and I have experienced exactly the same issues; Which is 

While the SKY Q box connected to the router the main HOME screen of SKY reports there is no connection

I'm not really sure that the connection is made, even though SKY Q box elsewhere finds the appropriate SSID accepts the password and 3 ticks around say YES connected.

I can see the SKYQ box on the network through the router portal 192.168.1.1

But my setup works perfectly with the old router   

Pulling my hair out over this, because I was told the new router has much improved Wifi than the old one

I have established that the SKY Q box will not connect to the THG3000 if the wifi SSID selected is the Wifi-2 setup on the router.

This is different to the previous router HHG2500.

I like to keep the SKY separate from all other users, and this was a suggestion from SKY Q when it first rolled out.

So you may say just swap Wfi-1 Y Wifi-2 around, should be the same difference. 

I tried this, but then any attempt to connect to the router through 192.168.1.1 failed !!!!! 

So for now everything is on Wifi-1 and I've hope it is not going to saturate when it gets hit with multiple users tomorrow morning ...

I'll keep you posted

I would reiterate that if your device is connected to WiFI-2 you cannot access the router portal via 192.168.1.1 ?

Yet logging off and connecting to WiFi-1 and trying 192.168.1.1 worked .

Likewise the mobile app, also must  be on Wifi-1 not Wifi-2 to work, but it is the same physical router 

Seems rather odd.

Well it has all been up a day and as I expected the SKY Q mini box kept dropping in and out all day, then suddenly stopped. Superfast 2 BB, only reaching 36.6 Mbps, really not much better that Superfast 1, but only Day1

The only +ve is it was £3 / month cheaper, but I doubt it will get anywhere near 55 Mbps ! 

Several months beforehand of testing using Ookla speedtest  

Hi

I'm on day 4 with mine, and learnt that the Guest Network is

192.168.5.1 with a limited range of addresses.

If only there was a manual.

I looked at my router today and it is plastered will errors for about the last 7 hours !!!  

typically

12/2020
01:24:03
[443587.689084] DROP wan in: IN=pppoe-wan OUT= MAC= src=178.128.64.178 DST=90.255.75.27 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=244 ID=50819 PROTO=TCP SPT=55124 DPT=16214 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000
firewall
05/12/2020
01:23:31
2020/05/12 01:23:31 [warn] 7811#0: *77203 [lua] session.lua:103: changeUser(): changing user to vodafone
system
05/12/2020
01:23:26
2020/05/12 01:23:26 [error] 7811#0: *77203 [lua] sessionmgr.lua:250: redirectIfNotAuthorized(): Unauthorized request
system

there is pages of them ! and barely getting 36Mbit/s