Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Old BT connect box

Nicheness23
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

Wondering if anyone has had similar. New broadband installation at a new house (gor me)  the house is 1960s.  We have a bt connect box, which i guess is quite old.  The house itself is quite rural.  I have ordered and recieved a Vodafone Power hub, but none if the cables that came with will fit into a bt connect box.  I ordered a cable online which converts the BT plug to RJ11.  Does anyone know if this will work? Will reduce the performance of the broadband ?   Many thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Nicheness23 Could you upload a photo or perhaps better, because photos have to be approved, take a photo and use Google Lens to identify the socket.

20240623_171101.jpg

Openreach.  Don't know where i got BT Connect from lol

Jayach

There are only BT/Openreach phone sockets and Openreach ONT's. ((Optical Network Terminator)

I suspect you have a BT master socket, possibly with a filtered face plate. See if this BT help page explains the correct connection method.

What type of primary socket have I got? | BT Help

Jayach

@Nicheness23 

It may take a while for your picture to be moderated,  Does this Openreach socket have lights on it? 

If so, it's an ONT.

Edit:: The router will have both types of cable required, no need to purchase anything extra.

CrimsonLiar

With the images moderated...
You'd normally recieve a "filter" in the box with the router.  You'd plug that filter into the phone socket and it then allows you plug both a phone and your modem/router into the one socket.  It looks as though your socket is the NTE5 (not the later NTE5C), so you could get a faceplate that performs the same function as a "filter".
The cable that you've ordered should work, provided there are no extensions and you don't intend to use a landline phone (if you've even been given that option!

Jayach

As @CrimsonLiar says you should be using the RJ11 DSL cable, along with the filter.