main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband activation

Slow download speed in the evening and weekends

1: Seeker

I switch to Vodafone on 24 May and opted for the 76mb package, and since then I got a download speed of 2mb to 3mb in the evening. I called Online chat and they have asked repeated questions, and asked me to try setting the wifi channels between 1, 6, and 11, then spoke to another person, and he asked me to wait for 10 working days as the tech 2 team is performing testing on the line and I will get the speed promised after that. It is now 2 weeks!! I called earlier today and the online chat person asked me to switch channels again!!.

I noticed that a lot of people are in similar position where download speed improves immediately during weekdays and past midnights. Is this caused by wifi setting?? I don't think so as.

I am now giving up on Vodafone. How shall I do now? Can this be escalated further as I am being asked to try same thing by online chat repeatedly now.

View more options
4 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Hi @amsjrt

Your not alone with experiencing speed issues. 

Vodafone advise speeds should settle between 10 days and sometimes up to 30 days after your activation date. 

When I was having issues with my speeds I decided to split the frequencies in my router to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz as some devices prefer one frequency over the other sometimes. This helped me.  

However if you do this and speeds don't improve wether your connected by Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi then keep in mind you have a 30 days cooling off period to be able to cancel without early termination fee's. 

I wish you all the best with this situation.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
1: Seeker

Thanks for reply. Yes I have already split SSID.

I decide to leave Vodafone during cooling off period to BT now, so hopefully get a better download speed.

View more options
8: Helper

That's the best route forwards.

My experience: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Shambolic-speeds-0-5mbit-s-to-8mbit-s-on-74mbit...

This BandOfBrothers user keeps suggesting the same thing to people who experience these issues, waiting 10 days is perfectly normal and I agree, but, there's absolutely no reason it should take anything more, and certainly NOT 30 days... doing so would take away your opportunity to leave in cooling off.

My experience of BT 2/3 months in, has been nothing but positive, even their router is orders of magnitude more comprohensive than the junk Vodafone provide.

View more options
12: Established

To say this thread started im may 2018 , it would seam every one in 2019 is still having the same issues .and i agree with james i dont understand why bandof brother keeps writing those things . if you wait 30 days you will be in a 18 month contract but 

Your contract works both ways. If you are not getting what you signed up for , you can leave vodafone at no cost 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Get-out-clauses-for-a-broadband-contract/m-p...

View more options