Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VF invisibly installing FTTH?

jibilah
4: Newbie

Recently I have a member of family who signed up to VF two days ago (very much against my recommendation not to do so because of my previous issues with them!), and we've already had an 'issue' before it's been installed!

I ran through the process to sign up to the basic VF Superfast 1 service with an average download speed of 35mbps, with an appointment for connection in a couple of weeks time.

Today, I get a frenzied call that 'someone is at the door, wanting to dig up my path for the internet'. 

I'm guessing, in certain areas (CityFibre), the most basic VF package can be FTTH but there has been no information pertaining to this!

So there's a number of issues here:

1. An engineer coming to the home, unannounced when the appointment (that was selected during the online purchase) is not for another 2 weeks. Whilst they had 'ID', in this day and age it doesn't always mean much - and they were concerned/scared.

2. Absolutely NOWHERE (and I say this with confidence) in the signing up process, does it mention a FTTH connection. Or that someone will be out to install the FTTH connection; there is no option to select FTTC or FTTH.
The only thing that 'suggests' this (but only to more techy people) is the fact that the upload speed is up to 35mbps.

3. No subsequent e-mails from VF saying they are intending to install a FTTH connection.

4. Only a message THIS MORNING was sent from CityFibre identifying someone will come in advance of the connection date, to complete any external works. About 45 minutes prior to arrival of the engineer. And again it doesn't specify when they will come (this wasn't seen until after the knock on the door).
Again

5. No requirement for someone to be home. This is great if they had explained what needs happening - but as they haven't, imagine if we were out, and came home to a garden dug up from the engineers?!

6. Finally, the family member thought this was a requirement - as again VF has not indicated what's going on, options etc.. Fortunately they phoned me and I advised 'it's for fibre that you don't want/need'. I wonder how many other people have gone ahead with it, thinking that's what they needed.

My cynical side says this is VF trying to take advantage and get more 'unknowing' people switched onto the Fibre network.
It also could also be Vodafone's ineptitude in letting customers know what's going on (akin to my previous issues), or in their ordering process with it not giving the full details/options.

Once again though, what the end result is, me, on the phone again to Vodafone to explain what's happened - and that we don't want a FTTH connection, all of which could have been avoided.

Vodafone - Please be transparent. I can't stress this enough!

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

It is very confusing as Vodafone call their bottom tier of FTTP Superfast 100, when all their other FTTP services are called Gigafast.

I must say I didn't think there was a 35/35 service.

In fairness, I didn't find too much confusing - once the address was entered, the available packages were displayed.

Just having another look, these are the services offered:

Superfast 1 (35mbps), Superfast 2 (63mbps), Superfast 100, Ultrafast 200, Ultrafast 500 and Gigafast 900.

Superfast 1 and 2 are (average) 35 and 63mbps respectively, which for most of the country I believe this is a FTTC service.

However the Superfast 1 and 2 packages show a matching matching upload speed which is not the norm (but how would a non technical person know this?); in my experience most companies offer their FTTC tier 1 is an up-to 38/10 service or tier 2 a 76/20 service.

Vodafone ARE NOT CLEAR on what they're actually offering. 

The family member has phoned Customer Services, and was advised 'you ordered the Fibre service'. Great customer relations to begin with - accusing the customer of doing something.

The order process didn't give an option for Fibre or not. It's Vodafone's shoddy ordering service that presumably defaults to Fibre in certain areas. Atrocious.

Coincidentally, I should have taken the sign of not to go through with it when the 'checkout' page failed to work, and I had to swap browser (the original browser free of addons/extensions).

Hopefully the family member will see this as a sign of things to come, and jump ship before they're tied into a 2 year contract.

I suspect very few Vodafone support employees browse these forums, and therefore suspect the cheeky sign up to Fibre will continue to those unsuspecting customers.

Yes for most it's probably not a problem, but Vodafone should still make it clear!

Cynric

.@jibilah "but Vodafone should still make it clear!"

Given that VF hide the details of line speed in a "fold out to read" portion of the FTTC (35/63) products I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for clarity if I were you.

@Cynric wrote:

.@jibilah "but Vodafone should still make it clear!"

Given that VF hide the details of line speed in a "fold out to read" portion of the FTTC (35/63) products I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for clarity if I were you.

Yeah, you're right. They seem to hide or at least make it difficult to find the pertinent information, although they are not alone on this. 

I've been through the order process again to make sure I'm not going mad, and there's absolutely no mention it's FTTP/H or FTTC. Even under the 'See Plan Details' it doesn't really give you much more information than the summary! 😂

Jayach

Whilst I agree it should obvious if you are signing up to FTTC or FTTP, I find it difficult to believe you could mistake one from the other, unless you are completely clueless as regards to  broadband. (which most non technical people are).

Which is really difficult for ISP's when all people look at is speed and price.