Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Broadband Delivery location ?

bluemoon25
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am considering swapping out Virgin Media who take over £80pcm for Internet / TV / Phone and moving to VF with an IPTV service - we really do not need the phone line

One of the considerations is the fact that all of our home services are run from an equipment cabinet under our stairs and we have Cat5e / CATV from there to the house. If I swapped to another ISP I would want to get the service terminated in the same place (or know that I would be faced with the move of the service. 

How flexible have others found VF wrt the location where Internet service is delivered to ? At present we have a Virgin service terminated inside our house in an equipment cabinet. Cable routes to the cabinet from the outside exist through the roof and under our floor 

I spoke to VF BB sales and they said they do not do site surveys but that when the engineer shows up to install you can discuss termination points with them and in case nothing can be agreed we can terminate the contract at no cost....effectively meaning we would get a free site survey

If we were to end up having to pull the service to our equipment cabinet what would we be pulling ? I am assuming fibre and we could just get VF to deliver with an extra length of cable into the house or does it come in on STP ?

8 REPLIES 8

Jayach
16: Advanced member

First question. Are you considering FTTP (Fibre to the Property) or FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet)?

What is STP? I'm assuming Shielded Twisted Pair, but just want to make sure.

Maybe the Gigafast 900 service ? Is that FTTP ?

Jayach

@bluemoon25 wrote:

Maybe the Gigafast 900 service ? Is that FTTP ?

Yes. Have you checked it is available? 

yes

Ripshod

Even if the engineer decides an outside wall is where he's going to install, a cat5e cable from there to your router in your equipment cabinet is still an option? 

yes - we would just have to pull it ourselves 

Jayach

When the service is installed it is really left up to the engineer as to where he installs the ONT (Optical Network Termination). Vodafone won't have any control over that. Some engineers are more amenable than others (and it differs depending on if they are Openreach or CityFibre.( Although it may be Kelly or another contractor working for OR or CF)). But as @Ripshod says they usually like to drill through an outside wall and install just inside.

When you check for the service you can tell if it is Openreach or CityFibre by the speed quoted. If the speeds are the same Up and Down it is CityFibre. If the Up speed is lower than the Down, it is Openreach.

Edit: The ONT requires power.

You Virgin people have it so easy when the same company is doing it all.