Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

20% Packet loss and less than 5mbps download on Gigafast 900 / CityFibre

Zuccster
4: Newbie

For the last 48hrs I've been experiencing intermittent packet loss of up to 20% and download speeds as low at 2Mbps.  Anyone else seeing this?

Zuccster_0-1664054155893.png

Screenshot 2022-09-24 at 22.16.37.png

51 REPLIES 51

One of the sad truths about ISPs is that they all sell more bandwidth than they have, as much as they can get away with it.  Vodafone have oversold the CityFibre services and they're now very obviously over current capacity during peak hours.  They can add capacity if we're noisy enough.

I wouldnt be adverse to reduced speed at peak times aslong as they could reduce the packetloss.

Neither would I, having reduced speeds even down to half so 500mbs instead of 900 which annoyingly is what I should be getting and what I'm paying for, I'd trade that for the packet loss any day if they want to save money. I did think it was too good to be true when I got connected. Seeing ads now for "reliable connection with vodafone" on TV makes my blood boil. if it isn't fixed by next week I'll complain to trading standards, this isn't what I signed up for.

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

@Zuccster wrote:

One of the sad truths about ISPs is that they all sell more bandwidth than they have, as much as they can get away with it.  Vodafone have oversold the CityFibre services and they're now very obviously over current capacity during peak hours.  They can add capacity if we're noisy enough.

A citation would be interesting!

I see, so that's what they do. To be honest, It's still strange how this packet loss thing becomes an issue (atleast for me) at exactly 6pm and then is stops at 12am. Like literally 23:59 packet loss and 00:00 everything is perfect. I think it might be related to cityfibre shutting off servers to save on costs which I understand, you want to optimise your system but that doesn't mean to deprive the customer for what they paid for. 

@jd122 wrote:

I think it might be related to cityfibre shutting off servers to save on costs which I understand, you want to optimise your system but that doesn't mean to deprive the customer for what they paid for. 

I'm not sure which Servers you're referring to.  I'm moderately familiar with enterprise networking and the most likely scenario is there is simply insufficient network bandwidth to cope at peaks times.  The routers / switches will simply drop packets they are unable to deliver in a timely fashion.

Apologies, yeah I was under the impression they were shutting off servers as thats what I related to insufficient capacity but insufficient network bandwidth to cope at peaks times, Thanks for clarifying. None the less, still wish this wasn't happening. Makes what would feel like a 10 minute download feel like 3-4x what it is.

Jayach

@jd122 wrote:
 It's still strange how this packet loss thing becomes an issue (atleast for me) at exactly 6pm and then is stops at 12am. Like literally 23:59 packet loss and 00:00 everything is perfect. I think it might be related to cityfibre shutting off servers to save on costs 

If you are suffering packet loss, and if it is on such a strict schedule, it needs investigating.

If they were "shutting off servers to save on costs" (which I'm sure they are not), they wouldn't do it at peak times.

Hey, thanks for confirming this atleast. I'll call them again in the morning instead of hoping for the best in that case, also I'm getting 300 now instead of 900mbs (minimum speed guarantee is 450 they say) on a hard wired connection. packet loss still a problem.

CrimsonLiar

When it comes to internet provision, Vodafone and its partners are one of the largest infrastructure providers (backbone not final mile) in the UK and maintain their own links to many countries.  Add to that the redundancy and reciprocal agreements with other infrastructure providers and it should be pretty robust.

Note that's a should be!  It seems at the moment that there are issues flying under the radar.  I also doubt that they are shutting off servers to save money, it's more likely that issues are not being picked up due to understaffing or poor training of their network maintenance staff.