Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

20% Packet loss and less than 5mbps download on Gigafast 900 / CityFibre

Zuccster
4: Newbie

For the last 48hrs I've been experiencing intermittent packet loss of up to 20% and download speeds as low at 2Mbps.  Anyone else seeing this?

Zuccster_0-1664054155893.png

Screenshot 2022-09-24 at 22.16.37.png

51 REPLIES 51

When I last spoke to the 2nd line engineer I was told they increased capacity (whatever that means, sorry im not too familiar) but it's clearly not enough.

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

I've been having issues with packet loss too on the Gigafast plan as well lately.

Same here. Packet loss, low speeds, all within peak times only. It's definitely a capacity issue and it probably sits with Vodafone rather than CityFiber, there is another thread on here where people have been told VF are trying to upgrade capacity. I actually had mine fixed for about 5 days when they routed my traffic via a different gateway and I had a different IP address, so it shows that it isn't a local contention issue. Either it just happens that it starts exactly at 6, or maybe that's when vodafone's packet shaping takes effect and it isn't very good and hence is just dropping packets everywhere, probably the worst thing you can do if you want to increase throughput for people.

I called 4 days ago and was told again the first lie I was told 20 days ago, that this was going to be fixed in 3 days. The below images show it at its worst, nearly 20% packet loss. I was also told 4 days ago that if this is not fixed then I can leave, the agent also confirmed they put in the notes that I won't be charged a cancelation fee. Guess I'm switching to giganet. funny how giganet also use cityfibre but have no issues meaning that it's vodafone not willing to pay for the service that it's setting the expectation for towards its customers. very dissapointed.

Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 20.28.54.png

and just because when I call wfx they think I'm outright stupid and don't believe I've done the packet loss test correctly, here's the results of the exact way they told me to, via pinging bbc via terminal for 5 minutes:

Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 20.35.51.png

Vodafone, if you see this. I've tried calling you countless times, I've been lied to, ignored and left in the dark for too long now, I'll be calling in the morning to leave you as you have not been able to provide me with the service you sold me for too long.

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

@jd122 wrote:

I called 4 days ago and was told again the first lie I was told 20 days ago, that this was going to be fixed in 3 days. The below images show it at its worst, nearly 20% packet loss. I was also told 4 days ago that if this is not fixed then I can leave, the agent also confirmed they put in the notes that I won't be charged a cancelation fee. Guess I'm switching to giganet. funny how giganet also use cityfibre but have no issues meaning that it's vodafone not willing to pay for the service that it's setting the expectation for towards its customers. very dissapointed.

and just because when I call wfx they think I'm outright stupid and don't believe I've done the packet loss test correctly, here's the results of the exact way they told me to, via pinging bbc via terminal for 5 minutes:

Vodafone, if you see this. I've tried calling you countless times, I've been lied to, ignored and left in the dark for too long now, I'll be calling in the morning to leave you as you have not been able to provide me with the service you sold me for too long.

@jd122 wrote:

How did you ask for the no termination fee? I think I should cancel too if this doesn't get resolved this week.

It's in your contract that if they can't fix the problem you're having with your broadband within a given time (30 days I think), this actually referes specifically to dl speed being low but that is the case here between the 5-12 peak times in the evening, then you can leave without a termination fee. The agent simply understood the situation and told me I could, I said fine but I'll give it 3 more days as she said city fibre told her 3 days then it will be fixed. it hasn't so yeah, I'll exercise the right to leave.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@jd122 wrote:

It's in your contract that if they can't fix the problem you're having with your broadband within a given time (30 days I think), 

It's actually 8 weeks, or sooner if you reach deadlock.

Complaints Code of Practice | Vodafone UK, and you should raise an official complaint.

Obviously, Vodafone could let you leave, without penalty, earlier if they so choose.

Another poor soul here from Northampton, packet loss has been a big problem over the last month for me as well.

Talking to support at Vodafone is like trying to ice skate up hill.

Interesting that its a Cityfibre capacity issue that i think has been mentioned, will be worthless swapping over to TalkTalk then i would guess. sigh.

@michaelmyers84 wrote:

Interesting that its a Cityfibre capacity issue that i think has been mentioned, will be worthless swapping over to TalkTalk then i would guess. sigh.

I don't believe it is a CityFibre issue, as some people have had a cure by being swapped to another Vodafone gateway/POP.

Great, I'll stick a complaint in and try and get out of here then.