Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3rd Party Router - Linksys MX5300 Velop AX5300

dennispad
4: Newbie

I have the VF Gigabit broadband with speeds of 500 mb - all works well apart from the range.

I have turned off the Wifi from the VF Router and connected a single Linksys MX5300 Velop AX5300 to the VF router. This works well with faster speeds and greater range however the Wifi drops several times a day.

I have other devices (PS5 and Sky box) connected over LAN to the VF router and their connections carry on working when the Linksys Wifi drops. As soon as it drops it's starts the connection again and then all fine until it drops again.

I assume there is some setting either on the VF Router or Linksys that I need to change but don't know what.

4 REPLIES 4

gipjon
16: Advanced member

I dont know your router but cant you connet it direct to the ONT (the little fibre box on the wall) and remove the vodafone router completely 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/How-to-Set-up-a-third-party-router-with-voda...

Are you sure its the wifi that's dropping because there is a issue with vodafone own dns . That does the same as your issue . Log into your main router http://192.168.1.1 the password is under the router

Change the dns in your router to one one of the better ones 

Provider/ISP DNS servers

Google (Public DNS)8.8.4.4

Cloudflare DNS (Public DNS)1.1.1.1

OpenDNS (Public DNS)208.67.222.222

BT Broadband DNS62.6.40.178

VF has disabled my phone line so I have to connect the phone to the VF router hence it's still needed.

Worth using a better DNS however when the WiFi drops it's an internal problem since I have several devices connected via Lan to the VF router and they are still connected ok. So it's some communication between the VF router and the Linksys router that is the problem. I have tried a different router instead of the Linksys and that has the same problem as well.

gipjon

I have 3 router connected with no issues at all.  I just used the old routers I had instead of buying switches.  I have a Technicolor router connected to a edge router .then I have the edgerouter connected to the vodafone router and the same as you I have turned the wifi off the vodafone router and I use the other wifi with no issues . I use to get drops all the time using the vodafone dns but since swapping the dns . Rock solid system 

I really dont know if this works or not as I have not heard of any comments. Or anyone trying it  But if you swap the two router around does the phone still work if you connected the vodafone router with the phone connect to it to the linksys. So the Linksys is connected to the ONT

chadvik
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Buying your own third-party router, from manufacturers such as TP-Link, Netgear and Belkin, will typically also give you access to additional features such as more connectivity options (network and USB ports), parental controls, file sharing and printer sharing.