main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

6 Weeks Of Hell Fixed With A 3rd Party Router

OTCE
3: Seeker

Just a post to confirm that the Vodafone supplied router is a dud.

I've had repeated internet disconnections every night from 6pm since the start of 2019.  Every evening, several drops in sync with the router restarting over and over again. Watching Netflix, streaming and even browsing made impossible.

Have spent hours researching issues, and dozens of calls to VF customer service with two engineer call-outs and a second VF router sent out (and charged for!) as a replacement.

Over and over again the same useless advice from Tech 1 and Tech 2 level, split your SSIDs, assign channels etc. They capped and uncapped my speeds, assured they were fixing the problem, monitoring the line. Making stupid tweaks and telling me to wait 48 hours.

Six long weeks of this before they finally told me they I am freed from my contract and should just go elsewhere. The last Tech 1 call (to Hassan in Egpyt) actually put me through to disconnections when I asked to be put through to customer complaints.

In finally wrote to the Managing Director to complain and got a nice call from a chap in Glasgow who told me that unelss I was getting over 8 disconnects a day then the service was deemed as acceptable. He said he'd monitor the line for a week and call me back in 7 days. That week I had up to 14 disconnects in a day but didn't get the call back.

So, I bougth a £40 TP-Link W9970 router and set up with the advice given here: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-...

BOOM!

No disconnections for the last 48 hours and counting...first stable connection of 2019.

Fingers crossed. 

But honestly Vodafone, just admit your routers have serious problems and save your customers, tech teams and Openreach engineers all the stress and hassle.

View more options
13 REPLIES 13
Alex882
6: Helper

The ISPs in the UK for some reason still hold onto the 1960s GPO mentality where they would supply all their landline customers with a phone and they had no choice but to use that said phone for calls. In places like Hong Kong, you get an ethernet connection to the internet from the ISP and that's it. If you want a router, you pick and choose one yourself. Seriously, what can one expect from a router that costs less than a fiver?

View more options
gipjon
16: Advanced member

Welcome to the third party router club ,

your not a lone heard this same story so many times including myself

View more options
OTCE

I wonder how widespread this issue with faulty / problematic routers is and to what extent Vodafone are aware of it (and just not saying)?

Or is it a tiny percentage of their fault reports, occuring in a rare set of circumstances, that they're simply ok with not addressing? Probably because it means removing / recalling their recommended equipment.

Is it more cost effective just to let the customers give up and go elsewhere?

View more options
MarkF
Moderator (Retired)

@OTCE I appreciate that you've had a poor experience with the router you've been issued. I'm glad your line is now stable with no drops, it's disappointing to hear that you've had to purchase a thrid party router to achieve this.

Not every customer is in the same shoes and the router does the job it's required to do in most cases. There will always be circumstances where we must run through our own diagnostics to make sure the fault isn't with the line.

I'm not sure why in your case that you were still receiving issues upon receiving two routers. 

View more options
matmulder
2: Seeker

I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring and say I had the same issue - constant internet dropouts, at least 2-3 a night (and probably during the day when I wasn't here).

3rd party router - sorted. It's been rock solid since. For me, this started about 2 months back, and has been getting steadily worse since, so whether it's a firmware update on the router, who knows.

Either way, I'll join the "buy your own router" club.

View more options
gipjon
16: Advanced member

the correct club is my vodafone router wont work and vodafone replaced it with a third party router at vodafone cost

and yes i am on a free third party router paid for by vodafone 

ofcom rules are simple 

Faulty equipment

If your broadband provider gave you a router to use, it will be part of your contract, which means they are responsible for ensuring the router is as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

If you’re experiencing problems with faulty equipment, like a router, you should contact the technical support helpline of your ISP and ask for a repair or replacement.

If you’re unhappy with how your request is handled, or if they don’t take steps to fix it, you have grounds to complain since this is a breach of your broadband consumer rights.

ofcom.jpg

View more options
Ianl49
4: Newbie

Hi. So which 3rd party router did you get please ?

View more options
OTCE
View more options
Ianl49

Great thanks. I was looking at to link v400 I think it was. But may look at that to.

Just in the middle of tests with voda....

View more options
OTCE

My connection has been solid since I replaced the VF one. Only downside of the TP Link I have is that it's only 2.5GHz but I have a small house and not had any interference issues either. The VR400 looks a good bet with dual channels...

View more options
matmulder
2: Seeker

I work in IT, so lucky we had an old "Zyxel" router knocking about that I borrowed to test.

That being said, it's been 100% for a week, but I have had an occasional drop of an evening similar to before the last couple of days. I understand that I should probably "force" Vodaphone to pay for a 3rd party router because they're unable to deliver a working one, but in all honesty I can't be bothered. Talking to residential customer support reps is like pulling teeth (and I don't just mean Vodaphone).

View more options
OTCE

Yeah,  I've just written off the £40 cost of using my own. The sheer peace and calm of having a stable connection after almost two months of customer service hell is compensation enough...

View more options
Ianl49

Yes I agree they should be supplying a router that works.... But yes the hassle isn't worth it..

Was it simple to set up etc ?

View more options