Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband connection keeps dropping every day for 2 - 3 times a day recently

tcfk2
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have been with Vodafone from 2018 on superfast first, and then upgraded to superfast 2 about 8 months ago.  About 2 months ago I started to experience broadband disconnection (not wifi dropping out, it is the internet being dropped for all devices).  Having chatted with the vodafone help doesnt get me anywhere so I went and debugged a bit myself and would like others to comment on what I found.

My SNR margin for down and up was only 3.3dB and 6dB on the normal BT NTE5C main socket.  I managed to achieve 69mb/s downstream and 18mb/s upstream.  However, I am wonder if these kind of numbers are good enough, especially I still have the old Vodafone router which is the smaller than the new one.

Then I tried the test socket.  The SNR margin improves to 4.1dB and 7.8dB for down and upstream respectively.  The data rate also increases to 76mb/s and 20mb/s for downstream and upstream.  So it sounds like the SNR margin increase helps the down and uplink.  I have now hook it up to the test port for more than a day, and has not experienced a drop in internet yet (touch wood)

So it sounds like it is my internal connection that is degrading the SNR.  What do others think?  Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Mine is............

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate79184 kbps20000 kbps
Maximum Rate81614 kbps23062 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio3.4 dB7.5 dB

Internal wiring can/will affect the Line Quality.

BT OR sockets.png

DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING CONNECTED TO TERMINAL 3

Only fit high quality MicroFilters.

CabinetTest.png

If in doubt please ask.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@tcfk2 wrote:

Then I tried the test socket.  The SNR margin improves to 4.1dB and 7.8dB for down and upstream respectively.  The data rate also increases to 76mb/s and 20mb/s for downstream and upstream.  So it sounds like the SNR margin increase helps the down and uplink.  I have now hook it up to the test port for more than a day, and has not experienced a drop in internet yet (touch wood)

So it sounds like it is my internal connection that is degrading the SNR.  What do others think?  Thanks

If it works better in the test socket then the problem is within your internal wiring. Do you use any extension sockets?

Probably best to give it a few days in the test socket before trying anything else "just to be sure".

Thank you both.  Interesting to see that a SNR margin of 3.3dB is sufficient.

Anyway I have some good/bad news depending on which way I look at it.  I left it in the test port for a day and I noticed it was disconnected at around 1am yesterday by looking at the log file.  see below.

This means I can rule out the internal wiring being the source of the issue (I think) and thand God I didnt listen to the vodafone help group's advices on splashing out hundreds of pounds to get an engineer out to check my local connection.....

Anyway I now think the issue lies at the vodafone modem/router.  I am still using the old model which is dated to pre-2018.  I am now wondering if I should ask for an upgrade - I had an upgrade from superfast to superfast 2 6 months ago but they didnt send me a new router.

Can anyone think of another reason for this type of random disconnects?  I mean at 1am I am already asleep and it doesnt sound like interferences related.

Thanks a lot.

tcfk2_0-1614588270499.png

Jayach

Personally I think a SNR of 3.3 is a bit low, as long as it stays stable at that no problem, but it doesn't give much margin for possible noise spikes.

If it rebooted at 1am I wouldn't rule out the possibility that was DLM or even a firmware update.

Check your current stats and firmware level.

Give it a few more days.

gipjon

The new router vox3000 is far better than the 2018 vodafone router . The old router had a very bad reputation for drops . If all the drop are 1am till 4am then i would say its the DLM thats dropping to make changes to the speed and other setting . What i would say is dont keep unpluging the router or the DLM will think you got a fault and slow you down 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, there is a very good reason for disconnects between 1am and 5am.  Disconnects can happen between these times if the cabinet thinks it can potentially re-sync at a higher rate.  It's just a part of the way OpenReach cabinets are set up.  *It shouldn't be happening every day though, maybe no more than once or twice a week in normal circumstances!

Jayach

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually, there is a very good reason for disconnects between 1am and 5am.  Disconnects can happen between these times if the cabinet thinks it can potentially re-sync at a higher rate.  It's just a part of the way OpenReach cabinets are set up.  *It shouldn't be happening every day though, maybe no more than once or twice a week in normal circumstances!

Just to add that once it has found it's optimal setting, it shouldn't happen at all. Not unless there is a line fault.