main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Broadband speed and router lights.

sindento
2: Seeker

I've only had fibre broadband in a few days so it will probably settle down soon,I'm getting 4.9 mb/s download and 8.8mb/s upload,seems strange the upload is faster.The router had the red power light,green wifi light and green internet light the first couple of days,now there's only the red power light on,nothing else yet the internet still works.Any idea why there's no lights on?

View more options
16 REPLIES 16
gipjon
16: Advanced member

Run your hand over the top where the lights are and they should turn on . Also you can turn your lights off and on in the router setting . 

With ref to slow speed vodafone got issues and have since last year's.  Lot of user on here are trying to leave 

View more options
sindento

Well well,who'd have thought it.My router is high up,just ran my hand over and they came on.Hoping for the rest re speed bur not confident now you've said they're having trouble.

View more options
gipjon

Just have a read at the posts over the last month 

Issues with router causing low sync speed

Issues with internet routing 

Issues with general internet speed

Issues with throttling 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/td-p/2619260

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

There isn't usually a "settling in" period for FTTC/VDSL (which I assume you have from your upload speed which can't be ADSL) despite the moderators and some tech support staff often claiming there is a 10 day period.

There was a 10 day training period on ADSL, but VDSL is constantly monitoring the line for stability. You may see your router resync after a day or 2, then maybe a week or so later - it can be quite variable.

However this only affects the "line sync" speed (the speed negotiated between your router and green street cab) and should not be anything to do with low "throughput" speed.

View more options
sindento

So I may be stuck with the speed I've got now then.I can't make sense of the figures on the router but I just ran another test on speedtest.net and got 6.08 down and 6.92 up.I was getting over 15 on plusnet ordinary broadband.Quite a bit less than the supposed 25 guaranteed minimum or a discount until fixed.

View more options
gipjon

Sorry to say but 25 guaranteed minimum is not what you think it is. It just to make people think they getting more speed on vodafone .but all it is if you get a sync speed of 25 or less you will get 15% off your bill  The guaranteed minimum is on your paper work and I am guessing it will say min sync is about 10meg in your case 

View more options
sindento

The contract paperwork says a minimum 25mb/s,can't see anything else after wading through all the pages. The router says this,whatever that means

View more options

Attachments

Anonymous
Not applicable

When it comes to speed there are 2 different things referred to.

"line speed" or "sync speed" is how fast your router can talk to the green street cabinet. It is like how big the pipe is to the cabinet.

The second speed referred to is the "throughput speed" - which is basically how much you can fit down the pipe.

From your screenshot of 40Mbps I'm guessing you are on "Superfast 1" which has a maximum speed of 40Mbps line speed. (I'd guess your line can go a bit faster but maybe not much hence you don't want to pay for superfast 2)

Now the most you can get down the pipe (throughput speed) in your case will be just below 40Mbps, so maybe 38Mbps, but just like a water pipe you may not always have water flowing through the pipe.

When you speedtest you try and download data as fast as possible, like turning the tap on full. In theory your line should - if the site you are testing from and all the bits of the internet and Vodafone kit inbetween - let you download at 38Mbps.

However just like roads gets congested and you can't drive at the speed limit so do bits of the internet and Vodafone kit so you may see slower speeds.

As you may read in other threads Vodafone seem to have an issue with the speed you can get to certain sites like fast.com (Netflix test site), Netflix, the Vodafone London speedtest server. However most people can get better or full speed from other speed test servers/sites.

If you use "speedtest.net" try changing the server to "Exascale manchester" which is often OK. If you get much better speed then it shows that your phone line is OK but the traffic is being slowed by Vodafone kit or the internet somewhere along the way.

You are best off using a computer connected with a cable to test and with nobody else using the internet.

View more options
sindento

Thanks for that.Just run a test as advised,the results are 7.44 down and 7.92 up.

View more options
Shooto
8: Helper

What server are you running the test to?

BT Lancashire and the York Bytemark hosting normally give you great results to prove all is well in vodafone eyes anyway.

The results are pretty low in both cases.

It really only gives you speed for basic web surfing & Streaming in SD only.

View more options
sindento

Tried that,it gets worse.6.5 and 0.71.

View more options

Attachments

Shooto
8: Helper

@sindento

That is truly awful results. You will need to probably call vodafone to resolve :Hmm_Face:.

You could try the following first before calling as vodafone have a script to follow.

Plug the router directly into your master socket - one device connected - run the speedtests

Split your wifi connection (why that would make any difference I have no idea)

Try a new microfilter

Disable the wifi on the router

If this dosen't improve the results then expect the following when you call vodafone

1: Listen to the terrible music for an eternity on hold

2: Finally get through to level 1 support

3: Explain your issue

4: Ask you to run a speedtest "BT Lancashire"

5: run a ping test (if using a pc)

6: run another speedtest

7:long wait while they talk to level 2 support

8: get you to run another speedtest - same results

9: long wait while they talk to level 2 support

10: Are you connected via ethernet to the router?

11: long wait while they talk to level 2 support

12: Is it the only device connected to the router?

13: long wait while they talk to level 2 support

14: Is the wifi on the router swtiched off?

15: We might have to get an engineer out, I will get someone to call you back

16: wait for a call back (next day if you are lucky)

17: Phone call arrives. We need you to run various tests at different times of the day to get a better idea to what could be the issue before we can arrange an engineer visit.

15: After sending the results to the email address supplied, you might get a call a few days asking to do the same tests again to applease Level 3 support.

16: Then maybe you will get an engineer visit if they cannot fix your problem.

Sorry for the long spiel... this is mostly taken from my own experience dealing with vodafone support.

Others might advise you as you are less than 30 days into your contract to leave while you still can.

View more options
sindento

What gets me though is it was running at 15mbps the day before switching from Plusnet on ordinary broadband.If they ran at that speed why can't Vodafone,it's the same line,why would they need to send an engineer here,nothing's changed apart from the ISP.

View more options
Joe
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@sindento We'd really like to look in to that for you. I've sent you a private message on how to get in touch. One of the team will be back in touch as soon as we can. Joe

View more options
gipjon

hey sindento

i use to be with sse myself and when i moved to vodafone my speed was about half and i also noticed after a while i had more than one issue

1st issues with wifi ,                                           solved by using a non vodafone router

2nd issues with slow speed cause by router sse speed 33mb, vodafone 24mb,  solved by using a non vodafone router

3nd issue : internet keep dropping                  solved by using a non vodafone router

4nd issue:  slow speed cause by internet routing

5th current issues: throttling

6th current issues: slow speed  7pm-midnight cable link issue : 33 meg daytime , about 5mb download 7pm-12 ( could be 12 months before this one is fixed )

this could be some help to you 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/60-000-fec-corrections-every-3-seconds-and-really-slo...

View more options
sindento

So it seems the speed does need time to settle,It's now running in the mid 20s for the last 2 days so all is well.Thanks for the interest.

View more options