main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Change from Interleaved Path to Fast Path link type

2: Seeker

Before I switched to Vodafone I had BT with the same speeds but on the DSL status page I had Fast Path for link type whereas for Vodafone I have got Interleaved Path which isn't good for me as I stream and game a lot, and fast path allows me to get the lowest latency possible. I have spoken to the live chat and they were pretty much useless and wasted about 1 hour by telling me how to change DNS (I know already how to do it on the router/PC) and other useless things. I just need Fast Path as I know my connection can handle like it had for 2 years on BT.

View more options
9 REPLIES 9
16: Advanced member

Whether you get an interleaved connection or a fast-path connection pretty much comes down to the negotiation between the modem/router and the BT Openreach cabinet - it's not something that can really be forced by either you, Vodafone or even OpenReach changing a setting!  Sure it adds a MINISCULE amount of latency but generally,  it's going to be less obtrusive during gaming than the equivalent "re-transmits" that you'd see on a fast-path connection if there is noise on the line!  If you tried a different (non-Vodafone) modem+router you just might get a connection that favours fast-path, or you may not!

*Out of curiosity what latency do you get from www.speedtest .net ?

View more options

Latency on BT to the same server was 4ms and after I got vodafone and using interleaved path it went up to 14ms. 

The speeds are literally the same and I have checked that it connects to the same fibre cabinet as before.

View more options
16: Advanced member

A latency of 14ms to a game server is not to be sneezed at, the previous 4ms, would for most people mean that the server was on their doorstep!  Generally, anything under about 20ms is considered great, and below 70-80ms should be easily playable!

View more options

The thing is I know the connection from my home to the cabinet supports Fast Path and pretty sure there is a way for Vodafone to change it as with BT I had interleaved and switched to fast path after talking to their live chat.

View more options

They can change it but they wont and they will give you some guff that the router requires interleaving.

I think that their support are a bunch of numpties that can only read of a script and that the comunication between departments is non existant

View more options
4: Newbie

they will not help you if you are getting minimum speed grantee. that's it ..leave if you have time if not your in for a long two years sorry 

View more options
View more options
Highlighted

have you been having disconnections if so the dlm will put you on  Interleaved to try to stable your connection but as Vodafone modem is rubbish that won't fix it if it keeps disconnecting the dlm will slow down your speed next   

View more options

I had 0 disconnecting issues and my line attuation is excellent for fast path according to many other forums and every vodafone live chat I have talked to wasted my time telling me how to change the DNS, seriously I am very dissapointed by Vodafone as I am thinking of switching back to BT even it's more expensive as their support at least listens and understands what customers are telling them and don't follow some flawed protocol of instructions.

View more options