Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Channels - manual change

Vdfonecust3315
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I, like millions of Britons, have a firestick.

I, like millions of Britons, have a 50Mbit/s connection or faster.

The firestick only uses particular 5Ghz channels. Vodafone no longer allows manual changes of channels.

My streaming capability is terrible. Pray tell, why are Vodafone selling 200Mbit/s services when the reality is you will be limited to ~10Mbit/s on a 2.4Ghz channel which all streaming devices will be forced to use thanks to Vodafone removing this service?

I spoke to a lady on the phone yesterday and she acted very aloof at what channels even were - come on.

I then said is it protocol not to change or even mention them, and that there's a reason I'm not allowed to know, and she got very stuttery and wasn't sure what to say and clearly, Vodafone are limiting channel changes.

Why?

What's the point?

The ONLY reason for connections over 20 Mbit/s is streaming. Gaming is about Ping, not bandwidth, and rarely uses more than even 2-3 Mbit/s. Browsing is mostly ping, and for most webpages, a 2-3 Mbit/s would load similarly as fast as 200 Mbit/s fibre because most webpages aren't data heavy and just text.

If Vodafone aren't able to change my channel, and I can't, then I can't stream - the only reason I have a fast broadband connection.

I am about to make a final phonecall, and will cancel if I can't get this sorted.

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Vdfonecust3315 wrote:

I am about to make a final phonecall, and will cancel if I can't get this sorted.

I wouldn't waste your time, Vodafone have no intention of letting us control our Wi-Fi channels on their routers.

Yeah, had one of the most painful phonecalls where they said they don't know what channels are.

Ridiculous.

Does anyone know of another service which definitely allows channel changes? 

It's a shame as the broadband on my computers and phones has been flawless at 5Ghz, but the stick just crawls, and the main focus of high speeds is the stick...

I don't really want to pay £250 for a basic modem/router. I am genuinely wondering whether I can connect via my phone and then tether the stick through it as a 2nd router. Insane times.

Are you on Pro? If not (and possibly even if you are) you may be able to change the channel yourself by using an old version of the Vodafone broadband app. The version you want is v4.1.0. It is available from various alternate app stores. 

So I have indeed read this info, but everytime I try to find that version, it is from some very dodgy sites that my android bitdefender software goes mental on. I guess I can fire up the old data-deleted S9 phone with no SIM etc and just download it, and if it is a virus/malware, will just wreck an old phone lol.

Do you have a direct link to the app from an alternative store you trust?

@Vdfonecust3315 wrote:

So I have indeed read this info, but everytime I try to find that version, it is from some very dodgy sites that my android bitdefender software goes mental on. I guess I can fire up the old data-deleted S9 phone with no SIM etc and just download it, and if it is a virus/malware, will just wreck an old phone lol.

Do you have a direct link to the app from an alternative store you trust?

I didn't post a link, because like yourself I can't guarantee there is no malware, however this is one I have used before. Vodafone Broadband - Broadband at your fingertips APK 4.1.0 for Android – Download Vodafone Broadban...

Where did you get yours from? Using an old phone sounds like the perfect solution.

DONE! Channel changed! Loading 4K like a trooper!

Any tech savvy person want to pitch in on an idea?

Can I use the vodafone modem/router combo, to connect to a 3rd party router (NO MODEM!) and change channels on that router?

It's just a 3rd party modem/router is damn pricey, whereas just a router is pretty cheap, and researching online, Vodafone seems to block most 3rd party tech bits as they have to be "openreach" approved (basically none, seems there's a monopoly by broadband providers).

Under more research it seems some companies MAY have been roped into utilising a "DFS" dynamic function system whereby it selects least used channels by radar systems and military, and can change channels on the fly to stop any impedence of any govt tech. As soon as it recognises other tech flying over it changes channels so it doesn't interfere with very important comms. It may be a legal requirement or something Vfone has voluntarily accepted and they can't really tell customers due to disclosure agreements etc. Sounds wild/longshot, but could be the reason why tech agents suddenly haven't heard of channels before.

I remember being a n00b in 2001/2002 when they recommended and showed me how to change channels, and in 2006+ when they actively wanted people to change their own channels on the 2.4 Ghz networks as it was flooding their call centres with such a basic fix.

Now all of a sudden these tech agents have never heard of such a feature.

I am amazed this isn't affecting so many more other people.