Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connection (partial?) drop-outs on Teams calls

Operon4
2: Seeker

Hello,

I have had vodaphone home broadband since the 4th of November. I waited untill now to post this as I understand that connections can take around two weeks to 'settle'.

I seem to have an issues with microsoft teams calls. Beasied teams, my connection seems very stable. Browsing the internet, stremaing amazon prime, spotify, youtube, etc are all completly fine. However I seem to have connection/bandwidth issues with Microsoft Teams calls.

Frequently when I am on teams calls I am experencing either complete or partial disconnections. By partial disconnection I mean that other people on the call are unable to hear me, but I am still able to hear them. Even more strangely, when this occurs windows reports my wifi as "disconencted", but I am still hearing people long beyond any length of time I would expect the audio to be buffered (e.g. 20-30 seconds).

I have checked the logs on the hub from the time period of the disconnect and have attached a screenshot which I believe shows the relevant error.

I will send a second post with some screenshots of my DSL status.

Any help or advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

- Andrew

26 REPLIES 26

Operon4

Because of the 3 image per post limit, please see also some DSL status screenshots. This information helped in problem solving another problem with another provider a long time ago.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

If the issue is only affecting your Teams calls @Operon4. this sound like it maybe connected to the teams app, it might be worth making sure you have a most up to date version of the software installed. We use the same app here and some of our team have been experiencing issue, this seemed to be rectified after a recent update. If there are no updates available, or this doesn't resolve your issue, get in touch with us through one of our social channels and we'll be happy to take a look.

Hi Mark, Thanks for your reply.

Since my first post I can now add some more detail.

It seems that whenever I disconnect from the teams call (as described above) I also completly disconnect from Wifi on the laptop running the teams call and on other devices.

It is almost like the teams call is crashing the hub and it is restarting itself and/or the wifi antenna.

Is there any part of the logs I could show you to prove this?

Hi Again,

I asked the tech support from my work to look into this for me and it seems the issue could actually be the wifi connection. As you can see below image, I am apparently in a crowded wifi area.

I have been reading some other threads on this site and it looks like my problem might be that the vodaphone hub is not good at managing these wifi-busy environments and beyond this, does not allow users to manually set a wifi channel. I was with plusnet for 2 years before switching and never had any issues at all with the wifi.

I expect the disconnects I am experienceing is actually the hub switching channels and reseting the wifi connection.

Can you propose any solution to this?

Screenshot_20201201-102215_WiFiAnalyzer.jpg

Hi There, 

I can confirm that I am having exactly the same issue as yourself. It is definitely a Vodafone problem. Were you able to fix this issue?

If vodafone cannot fix this for me I will have to leave them and go for a different provider because this is impacting my daily work. It is quite simply unacceptable that a simple teams call struggles so much

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

.@Operon4 I had a spare router and piggy-backed it onto the THG3000 and used the WiFi of this second router. This second one had fully controllable WiFi.

I wish I saw this post earlier but this exactly the same issue I've been having for almost a year now even on their superfast2 connection. I keep losing connections to our office vpn, teams and even the Whatsapp call keeps showing reconnecting in midst of data calls.

Vodafone support says they are keeping up the guaranteed speed till the router end. I tried adding a few WIFI extenders in the house to improve signals but i still keep losing connectivity to Whatsatapp and Teams meeting in midst of these calls when on WIFi even when the router is close to the laptop and phone.

Every time we call customer care they perform their diagnostics and reboot router and the connection becomes stable for a few days and then again we keep getting the same disconnects over and over. I may have spent a lot more on phone bills calling their customer care than their monthly broadband fee.   Attempts to change channels around to use 5GHz  didn't resolve the issue for me .. There is another setting mobile app as boosting WIFI for a certain device but that's not too helpful either.  I suspect it's actually the wifi router that's the cause of these disconnects as its not able to handle several devices on the router at the same time.  I've now finally decided to switch providers as we never had this issue with our previous provider as i found no resolution on this issue.

Hi all,

I'm using the current MS Teams on a windows 10 machine having the line installed a few weeks ago (up to 76Mbs).  I'm using a wired connection via LANoverPower connectors.  All works well until I join an MS Teams call.  After a few minutes of clear connection, I freeze for other people but can I still hear them.  After around a minute I then lose the call and all connections (Outlook, Teams and web browser drops).  My partner has the same issue using wireless.  The router reports an un-interrupted connection so I'm guessing that it's not fully re-booting itself (?).

Given that we both work from home, this is a serious issue as (too) many meetings form our work days.

Is this worth flagging with customer support - has anyone found a way around this - given I'm not using wireless to connect?

Many thanks in advance

hi guys.  ive registered just to post the fix to this...

i had exact the same problem.

easy fix - you just need to update the firmware with Vodafone.

this can sometimes be done by doing a hard reset, or ring them up to do.   this is being written 12/11/2021 when they must have fixed the issue.