Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast router 'system self' rebooting

british_bulldog
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Vodafone Gigafast broadband router is self starting at random points during the day.

This takes the network and telephone line down for a time while it resets.

The service has been solid and reliable for  months, and only had this problem for the last 2 weeks.

Nothing has changed in the last 2 weeks,.

I have logged a ticket, there are all sorts of suggestions around cat 5e cable from WAN to router (replaced, no effect) devices on my network causing the problem, at one stage even pointing the finger at my Apple watch !

I have two other Apple airport time machine routers connected via 1Gbit Ethernet with lots of devices (36+) plus door bell, cameras, speakers etc.. none of which has changed in months and all working previously with no issues. 

Latest advice is to unplug everything and slowly add things back in until I find the culprit, however this will take me between now and Christmas.

Memory usage on router seems to be high (80-90%) all the time. Status screen capture attached.

The question is, does anyone else have this problem where somehow a device on the network causes the router to 'system self start' ?

18 REPLIES 18

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @british_bulldog, that's odd, I've not heard of the Gigafast router doing this to be honest. How often does this happen and roughly what times? 

Hi DaneB.

It was restarting at various times of the day, sometime 2 or three times an hour, sometimes a few times a day.

I have now been sent a replacement router which I have plugged in and will see if this one has the same issue.

I have removed all but 1 device from the Vodafone router wifi, and only 1 Gigabit port is in use which is now connecting it to the rest of my network. So I am only really using the Vodafone router as an interface into the WAN and the DHCP/DNS server, and trying to keep all local taffic off the Vodafone router in case my traffic has somehow been overloading it.

We shall see over the next few days it any of this actually works......

Interesting @british_bulldog ðŸ¤” Let me know how you get on and if it get's any worse, please contact our team on Facebook or Twitter

So the good news is that the new router has fixed the problem.

No more restarts, which means my old router was at fault.

However.....

Now my telephone line has done down 😞 

No dial tone, and when I run the diagnostics on the router I get the following screen.

Looks like I am back to holding on the support line for an hour or two again......

Screenshot 2019-10-11 at 08.32.14.jpg

After another call with the Vodafone Broadband support today, everything is now up and running.

Turns out the router had not been configured correctly before it was sent out to me, and therefore had no VOIP config loaded for the phone line.

All sorted with a config load followed by a factory reset. So I am now back to working phone line and so far my router has not restarted itself once 🙂

I have had identical problems with my Gigafast router rebooting. It has worked flawlessly for months with all my devices connected, but in the last month or so the router has started having these issues. I got a new router installed two days ago, thinking it had solved the issue. But no, it started rebooting again yesterday. It is interesting that others are having similar problems. I've tried connecting/disconnecting devices and changing cables. It makes no difference in my opinion. I live in Peterborough - so I wonder if this is a regaional issue.

Hi @Hot_Penguin, 

What is the reason on the router status page for the restart?

Is it 'System Self' or some other reason?.. 

It's System Self. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's absolutely fantastic news @british_bulldog! I'm gald we've got all your serivces up and running again 😊

So we can take a look into your issue @Hot_Penguin and send you a new router if required, pop us a private message via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. If you include:

- Full name
- Account number/Landline number

- Postcode

-  a link to this post

We'll be able ot get the ball rolling in resolving this for you.