Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IPV6

grahamwharton
4: Newbie

Whats the latest on IPV6 support on the WAN side of vodafone broadband. Seems vodafone are WAY WAY WAY behind the pack on this.

23 REPLIES 23

Yup. I was hoping that there was a simpler way these days. I've been trying to avoid doing all of this but it may be inevitable. 

Probably easier to move to sky or other broadband provider that does ipv6. I don't see voda doing it any time soon. I'll be moving away on my next contract date.

It's not an essential for me in any way. Pure playing-about geek value for me.

The proper fix is indeed native IPv6. In the UK there are various ISPs that do support IPv6 now, BT, Sky, Andrews and Arnold, Zen etc. Vodafone was originally quoted as saying IPv6 should be rolled out by Spring 2020, but then a pandemic happened and I would imagine it was all put on hold.

The other alternative is getting IPv6 connectivity through another provider through something like L2TP, OpenVPN, Wireguard etc, rather than changing providers, but it's additional cost. The advantage of Tunnelbroker, is it is a free option but 6in4 is also a IPv6 transitional technology, so it may not be around forever either, although Hurricane Electric seem to be quite happy to keep the service going, where most have stopped or charge for it.

The DNS lookup method is the easiest to avoid VPN/Proxy errors from Netflix. There's documentation on how to do it if you are interested. It's not actually that difficult, just conditionally making some Netflix domain requests not return AAAA records for any device, you'd need to perform this on your router, so it can work for any client.