main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Increased latency

2: Seeker

For some months now (I've been lazy on doing anything about it) I have seen much higher latency on my fibre-based connection (copper to house) and mixed speedtests.  On initial install I was comfortably able to average over 70Mb speedtests with latency of between 4-6ms.  My latency is now up at 13-16ms and I tend to average in the 20-30Mb speedtest.  I'm around 100 metres from my fibre point.

Did anyone else ever have similar behaviour?  I've done all the usual stuff with restarts, software upgrades etc etc.  All was good, then suddenly it wasn't.  Any thoughts appreciated.

View more options
6 REPLIES 6
14: Advanced member

Always a good idea to state what plan you are on!  With a 70Mbps connection I would assume you are on "Superfast 2", and by fiber point, you mean the BT Openreach cabinet!  If you've had a 70Mbps connection and it's dropped massively then you really have no option other than to contact Tech support and have them test the line remotely with a view to getting an engineer out!

If on the other hand, you are some kind of FTTH plan, then you really have problems!

View more options

Thanks for replying. There was probably some inference in my original message, but I’ll be clearer.

I’m on the max “Superfast 2” package, expecting anything up to 80Mb. I have previously regularly achieved over 70Mb, but now tend to max out around 40Mb.

My package is fibre, but of course copper from the Openreach cab to my house approx 100 metres away.

My latency is way too high to be acceptable for the fibre package, and was previously around 4-6ms, now more like 13-16ms.

View more options

If you still have it, you need to find your joining letter, and just check what your minimum speed should be according to VFs contractual obligations.  If the speed (not even the sync rate - that's irrelevant your contract is for speed) is below what you are promised, then contact tech support.

The latency is a different matter!  it's not really directly covered.  I'm a bit naughty on this, most of my own speedtests are executed over WiFi, so I'd expect 9 - 11ms as a matter of course, dropping to 7-9ms if I can actually be bothered to plug in a cable.  So with that in mind recording latencies of 4 - 6ms, especially using the VF router, is near miraculous!

View more options

I don’t use the Vodafone router since it’s terrible, I have an Amplifi setup. Whether you feel miraculous or not, these were the realistic latencies I was seeing previously.  Attached is an example, carried out over WiFi.

I joined in September 2016 before any such speed guarantees were in place.

Thanks for the advice. I’m obviously aware I can pick up the phone and call tech support, which is a guarantee of wasting multiple hours of my life. The reason for my posting was to see if there was a community consensus around over-time performance degradation, or even perhaps peak time degradation, before going to tech support

5B3EAF65-0988-4A6E-8002-A179794816E1.jpeg

View more options

Re-upload broken screen cap

7418810E-3576-40D2-B72C-CDDDC7C424DD.jpeg

View more options

Ah!  You are using a mobile app!  Ping and latency during data transfers are not equivalent.  When you start using a mobile for these test you introduce just too many potential bottlenecks to get a realistic result, it can only ever be an indication!  If you are not careful you end up testing the speedtest servers rather than your own connection!

View more options