main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Internet dropping out

Highlighted
3: Seeker

Hi,

I switched from Sky to Vodafone after being tempted by faster speed and a lower price. I'm in the bad books at home now for doing this as it seems an inferior service.

My connection with all attached devices just drops out for minutes at a time and I get shouted at from all around the house!

I admittedly have too many devices connected at one time but Sky seemed to cope. Initially, Vodaphone said this was the reason it kept failing so I got my devices down to the recommended 8 and because it still dropped out they replaced the router. Things are much the same though. 

I'm thinking that I need a better router that can cope with all my devices (20-30 within the next year I imagine). I was looking to buy the R8000 Netgear Nighthawk but it doesn't have a modem. Do I just buy any modem? I've read some information on the forums but have realised that I'm actually not as technology-literate as I thought and don't understand most of it. Have I got the right idea in mind?

Thanks for your patience!!

View more options
7 REPLIES 7
17: Community Champion

Hi @Shebeeshe 

Broadband Tech isn't exactly my forte either !

I'm a plug and play type of person   

There are quite a few threads on the forum with good info and tips within.

This is one 》 HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-VDSL. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Thanks I did see that but I got totally lost with all the terms. I bit out of my depth I think!!

View more options

Hey @Shebeeshe, thanks for getting in touch. If you'd like to get your own router, we accept most third party models. To keep it pretty simply, what you'll need to use it is your DSL username and password. This will help to provision the router to your particular line.

Once you've bought it, you should be able to simply plug it in; then get in touch with us on the Social Media team via one of our social channels. You can find more information on doing this here. Or contact our Broadband Live Chat team and ask for your username and password. 

Give that a try and let us know how you get on, if you have any problems; one of our team will be happy to help in any way we can.

View more options

Thank you. Do you know if I need to buy a modem aswell? I'm still concerned that the connection was dropping out even with only 8 devices attached. I'd hate to spend all that money if in fact it's a problem with the vodaphone side - I didn't have any trouble with sky

View more options
16: Advanced member

If you get a cable router then you'll need a modem as well, but you can get combined modem/routers which work in the same manner as the Vodafone device.

If you went with the combo device, then the best Netgear model available in the UK is the D7800.

Now you could go with your R8000, but I'd steer clear of using the Netgear DM200 modem as it's not set up properly for the majority of UK ISPs, and so the old OpenReach Huawei HG612 V3b (£5 off eBay) is your best bet for ease of use!

View more options

That is really helpful. Thank you! One last thing, someone has mentioned to me that a mesh wi-fi might be better option. Coverage and speed is fine for me though, it's just the dropping out that's the problem. Do you think this is a path to go down?

View more options

Can I use the modem in the Vodafone router and just switch off the router part?

View more options