main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Internet issues yet speed still showing 40mbps

SOLVED
View solved solution
3: Seeker

Hi,

this is morning my broadband is struggling to open apps, load pages and is generally timing out. I am on hold to Vodafone whom has indicated that there are network issues today via the prerecorded message.

i have an issue with the broadband app that is still showing 40 mbps even though this is clearly not what I am getting currently.... so how are we supposed to trust this for the guarantee level? It is clearl giving positive readings when clearly this morning I am not getting much at all. 

Am I missing something ? Surely if there are network issues and I am not getting the service promised or speed it should be showing up here? 

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
2: Seeker

The failure wasnt with the network speed but with the servers that route your internet requests from your PC to the correct websites. Think of it as having a telephone dial tone but dialling a telephone number did nothing -  you had a good connection to the telephone exchange but nowhere else.

If you changed your DNS servers in the router then you would see you were getting full speed internet connection (though not expecting many folk would have done this).

It was a complete loss of service rather than a network speed drop.

View more options
10 REPLIES

Yes I had the same problem.

I figured out it was their DNS servers that are flaky. Either they need rebooting or they are being DDOS attacked right now.

I connected via VPN and it stabilised - using my VPNs DNS servers rather than Vodafones.

I then changed the DNS servers in the router to the google DNS servers and it worked fine for all my devices. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

View more options

Other people been having problems too, surprised I've been able to get onlinr to post this.

2Hour wait online, only for them to hang up!!!!

Complaint forthcoming, and have to check contract, they have to be in breach somewhere.

Absoloute charlatans.

View more options

@ClareB007 Hi there, did you get your broadband fixed? We do apologise, we're aware of the issue and that it's been resolved. We apologise for the impact this may have caused and hope everything has returned to normal. Joe

View more options

Hi Joe,

all back to normal but but very poor customer service. No acknowledgement from Vodafone.  Also, I want to understand why the app was still showing 40 mbps speed when clearly there was not this level,of service being provided. Is anyone from Vodafone going to answer this?

thanks,

clare

View more options

Can only echo exactly what clare has posted.

View more options

The failure wasnt with the network speed but with the servers that route your internet requests from your PC to the correct websites. Think of it as having a telephone dial tone but dialling a telephone number did nothing -  you had a good connection to the telephone exchange but nowhere else.

If you changed your DNS servers in the router then you would see you were getting full speed internet connection (though not expecting many folk would have done this).

It was a complete loss of service rather than a network speed drop.

View more options

hi check your in or if you use a vpn

View more options

Hi, why will this affect whether the internet is working? I don’t want to be having to change dns servers settings or playing around with settings...I just want the broadband to work as bought.

View more options

Thanks for this. I am not technical and don’t want to be playing with dns settings etc as I wouldn’t know how to do this, nor return when the issue is fixed. I guess my biggest issue is that the Vodafone app was effectively saying that I was getting the service level promised when clearly I wasn’t..

No response from Vodafone yet on this issue.

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you're still not getting the speeds you should be @ClareB007. So one of our team can take a closer look into this for you, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options