Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mesh?

squaine
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I have now been a vodafone home fibre broadband customer for just under 2 weeks and boy I regret it!  It is constantly losing signal and when I have a number of smart devices in my home this is more than a little frustrating.  I’m looking therefore at a mesh system but don’t really understand all the lingo… I just want one that’ll work with Vodafone.  Can anyone advise please?  Huge thanks in advance 😃

7 REPLIES 7

Cynric
16: Advanced member

Here's a brief article comparing WiFi extenders and Mesh, just so you can get the idea of things when further replies come along, https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/wi-fi-range-extender-vs-mesh-network-whats-the-difference

Have you already worked out which parts of the home have poor reception? On Android I used this App https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer&hl=en_GB&gl=US there are similar things for Apple if that's your device.

Have you worked out if it is either poor signal in a particular room or signal drop everywhere from time to time? If it is signal drop then it may be a broken router (presumably the THG3000 one) and will need replacing. 

So before spending out money on any kit let's see if the community can identify the root cause.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The other possibility that comes up a lot is equipment that can't see the higher 5GHz WiFi channels or can't see the upper 2.4GHz channels.

While it may mean using congested channels, if your router allows, try setting the 2.4GHz to channel 11 (1 to 11 should work) and the 5GHz to channel 48 (36 to 48 should work).

As suggested WiFi Analyzer is a great app - been using it for years and years!

Cynric

One thing I'd add about the 5GHz band is that some routers have "greedy" default settings. I have two neighbours on channel 42 but are blocking 36-48 (you can set the channel width) so I moved up to 56 and none of my devices have a problem. There's a huge spread of 5GHz bandwidth that is really underused and if it works for your devices it can be a good choice.

Jayach

Are you on Superfast (FTTC) or Gigafast (FTTP)? 

What were you using before, and was the WiFi adequate for your needs on that.

Hi

i was on fibre before and still on fibre and was with plusnet before.  Not sure if that answers your question as don’t understand what you are talking about but yes before it was sufficient 😃 and now it is simply rubbish.

Jayach

I was enquiring if you were on fibre to the cabinet or fibre to the premises. 

I believe PlusNet do not offer FTTP, so you must be FTTC. (Superfast).

I ask because if it were "true" fibre (FTTP) you could replace the Vodafone router completely with a mesh. but it's not, so you can't. (not very helpful I know)

If you were happy with the performance of the PlusNet router you probably just need a better router or maybe an extender/access point.

I know you were asking for recommendations, but I find the WiFi on the THG3000 O.K. for my needs so haven't needed to try anything else.

This may help to understand the different options better.(or it may just confuse you more)

https://dongknows.com/mesh-wi-fi-system-explained/

I would recommend the TP-link Deco M5 twin set (if your house isn't too big) My voda wifi would drop out occasionally, and was about 1/3 the speed of a wired connection in most of the house. 

Wifi is now just slightly slower than wired in all the rooms.  I have the master deco connected via network cable to the voda wifi hub.  voda wifi is disabled.  second deco is at the back of the house on the first floor and the pair of them give mesh wifi coverage without any deadspots