Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New Connection

Colzee
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, 

My son has just moved in to a new flat and all the flats have these BT boxes in them, He is currently a vodafone customer on copper broadband and still paying for this probably still got over a year left on contract. The reason i ask as these boxes seem to be fibre only and the only current fibre to door suppliers in aberdeen at the moment are vodafone, would anybody be able to tell me what his options are as when checking availability to his postcode it cant even recognise address, Its the old customs house in aberdeens guild street which was a tax office and has been converted in to 50 flats all with these boxes installed in all of them . Could anybody tell what his options are regarding a broadband connection please. Tried uploading pic of box but just shows as a yellow triangle after upload?2.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Colzee 

Are.you tryingbthe Vodafone Home Broadband eligibility checker in 》Can-I-get-Vodafone-Broadband.  ?

If this is not helping then perhaps give the Vodafone Home Broadband Team a call on 08080044668 or 08080 034 515

Home-moves. 

Or speak with the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

"Tried uploading pic of box but just shows as a yellow triangle after upload? "

This is because as a new member your photos would need to be vetted by a Vodafone Social Media Team Member before being allowed to show on the post. Once they've moderated your post as long as nothing infringes the forums rules it will then show.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Anonymous
Not applicable

First things first!  Thanks to Ofcom, if he's moved (moving) then he can get out of his contract with little to nothing in the way of early termination fees - though even with VFs badly written contracts it is one of the few occasions when they can DEMAND the return of their modem/router.

Next up.  If the boxes are for fibre broadband, there is no global LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) agreement for FTTP in place in the UK yet.  So while it's worth talking to Vodafone, it may be that he is forced to take broadband/phone from BT in this instance.  If he's renting then he should really be contacting the owner, and if he's purchased then he should have direct contact with the management company. 

Since the pic of these boxes installed in his new flat wont upload, this is what written on the labels on them.

Bt Equipment supplied in this apartment

This equipment is not connected, to activate the service you will need to contact a supplier of your choice.

This equipment is connected to a fibre optic system, there is no active copper connection in this apartment block.

The equipment supplied is supplied by BT Openreach free of charge. It has not been activated and will not provide free phone lines or internet.

If you require a landline or internet connection, YOU are responsible for organising and paying any fees incurred in activating this service.

So hopefully after he contacts vodafone he will be able to leave without exit fees and set up a new supplier as post code checker show they cant supply a connection to his new addresss. Looking like new supplier might have to be BT but the statement on label of this box that says, This equipment is not connected, to activate the service you will need to contact a supplier of your choice confuses things.

Just an update i now understand its a FTTP Huawei Openreach ONT shows the power and pon lights green at the moment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, rather than my pessimistic first response, he may actually be in the very lucky situation of being in an area where there is a "gentleman's" agreement between (BT, Virgin, and Vodafone from memory and in some areas only) telcos regards fibre unbundling.  It'll be worth trying the web sites for deals, but he may have to resort to chasing a deal over the phone!

FYI: the pic will show once it's been approved!