cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New devices not connecting to broadband - old ones do!

AlexRoss64
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi folks,

Hope this is the right board but it's an odd issue.

Basically at some point new devices have stopped connecting to our broadband and I'm not sure when. It 'could' be when I upgraded it to 70gb from 25gb or whatever it was before.

Essentially all the devices that have previously connected to the broadband, such as the Xbox, tablets, mobiles, laptops, all still work and work fine.

But we noticed when we got a new Kindle it wouldn't connect, but did tethered off my phone. I presumed it was the Kindle and then someone brought a tablet round and the same thing happened. Then I bought an MP3 player and that would only tether as well. They all connect to wifi and broadband elsewhere, just not ours.

Nonetheless, I'm writing this message on a Surface Pro 4 connected to our home broadband!
I've turned it off and on again, and pressed the reset button, but it still won't work.

For the MP3 player, when it tries to connect it says 'Obtaining IP address...' but doesn't.

Given it works I'm guessing it's a relatively simple fix but I can't find any similar question on this board or using the chatbot or web searches.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I would say a factory reset of the router will definitely be the next thing to do. I'm pretty confident that will cure it.

If you haven't changed the default router and wi-fi passwords everything should connect fine.

The DHCP table is held in the router so it will be cleared and will start again.

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

Jayach

@AlexRoss64 wrote:

Nonetheless, I'm writing this message on a Surface Pro 4 connected to our home broadband!
I've turned it off and on again, and pressed the reset button, but it still won't work.
!

IF you mean the surface was working, but wouldn't connect after turning it off and back on, then DHCP server in the router has stopped.

Reboot the router and all should be fine.

No, sorry if I wasn't clear - I've turned the router off and on again, and reset, but it's made no difference.

In essence I cannot connect devices to the wifi that have not previously been connected, but all the existing devices, such as the Surface Pro 4, connect just fine.

Jayach

Are you sure you aren't using an incorrect password? I cant think of another possible reason for this.

Have you tried to connect any new devices via WPS?

Hey, thanks for the reply. So funnily enough I have tried WPS with my wireless printer. I had it set up but then it stopped working wirelessly and again I'd not been able to re-pair it with the router. However, I've just logged on to the router itself and paired it. However, my tablet can't find it for some reason. No idea if that's connected.

I've just logged into the router and it's telling me the password still matches the one on the router itself, so not sure what's happened there.
Any other ideas? If not - I'll have to try Vodafone tech support!

Thanks

Jayach

@AlexRoss64 wrote:

Any other ideas? If not - I'll have to try Vodafone tech support!

Good luck with that, do let us know how you get on.

The only real difference I can think about previous connected devices and new ones is the previously connected devices will have the password stored, which is why I thought it may be the password that was wrong.

Have you tried a factory reset via the router firmware. If that doesn't cure it I don't know what will.

Cynric

Any chance that the router is using a channel which your devices cannot connect to?

Jayach

@Cynric

I thought about that but.

@AlexRoss64 wrote:

For the MP3 player, when it tries to connect it says 'Obtaining IP address...' but doesn't.

Which means it must have seen the SSID.

Cynric

That's a point.

What about the timeout for the session token?

Do any of the devices present a random MAC address?

Has the DHCP table filled up?

Are the devices using the same encryption, TKIP etc, because the SSID beacon is not encrypted?

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm not familiar with the more technical details of some of what is being suggested though I can look things up if given instruction online or whatever.

Is the best next step just to do a factory reset on the router? I can't think of any settings I've changed so presumably everything that already logs in fine will continue to do so?

I'm looking up how to check the DHCP table and clear it but looks a touch complicated.

I've done 'route print' on the command prompt and it brings up IPv4 and 6 tables but I don't really know what I'm looking at! There's 11 entries for the v4 table and 5 for the v6. No 'persistent routes' on either.