Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New hub

Kendo87
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm trying to resolve a WiFi issue with a new Vodafone broadband hub, supplied only 2 weeks ago. After many chats, attempted technical fixes by various Vodafone tech teams, I still have an issue with this new hub. I had been promised a replacement hub, but that never happened either, and now I'm stuck with a faulty hub, and I've signed up to a new 24 month broadband contract. What else can I do, every Vodafone customer service person I've spoken to seem unable to either solve the issue, or are unable to authorise a replacement hub. Not sure what else I can do?? 

9 REPLIES 9

Cynric
16: Advanced member

.@Kendo87

Could you say what's the problem, it may have been already discussed in the forum.

@Cynric wrote:

.@Kendo87

Could you say what's the problem, it may have been already discussed in the forum.

Certain devices in my home, such as my mobile phone, Amazon Alexa, Samsung smart TV simply will not 'recognise' the WiFi on the new hub, therefore they are unable to connect. I do know those devices will 'recognise' other networks ie my neighbours and we're working fine on my old hub. Loads of technical fixes by Vodafone have failed, so I can only guess that the new hub is suspect 

Cynric

It may be a channel number issue.

On the 2.5GHz side some devices do not work on channels 12 and 13.

On the 5GHz side some devices do not work on channels outside of the range 36 to 48.

The THG3000 router automatically changes channels at will and some devices fail to follow the change.

There are other threads elsewhere on the forum discussing the above and other issues with the router. These other conversations may give you a bit more detail than my summary.

I got around these issues by using my old router plugged-in to a LAN port on the THG3000 and so all my devices carried on with existing settings etc.

Yes, the Vodafone tech teams have tried to solve this issue in various ways, on a number of occasions, and one thing I know they've tried is changing/resetting the channels and the frequencies. I can just about get my phone to connect to the WiFi, but I have to be directly next to the hub. If I move away, the signal disappears. 

Cynric

That sounds like a properly duff router. If you have a Wi-Fi channel analyser on a mobile device then you should be able to see the signal strength in comparison with your neighbours. If your signal is being swamped then you may be able to use this as a means to get a replacement.

Yes, I've explained that to numerous customer services staff at Vodafone but they just keep going through the same routine of changing settings, testing it again, then telling me there's no fault, when I clearly can see the problem. They just seem to be totally unwilling to send me a replacement. I've just about give up now, I can't spend anymore of my life in online chats. I've ended up just disconnecting the new hub and I've gone back to using the old one, and everything seems OK so far. 

Farai
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Kendo87 I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues with your router. I can assure that we're not unwilling to send out a new device to you. We just need to rule out any other factors before this can be done. I'd recommend that you reach out to us via our Social Media channels here and we'll help you investigate 👍

It's important to note though, not every team can send out routers. If you believe there is an issue with the router itself, you can speak to our dedicated Technical team who would be able to look into this for you. You can reach out to them directly on 08080 034 515. 

Hi Faral, 

Thanks for the advice, but I've 'reached out' to the technical teams on 4 occasions now, all have tried to resolve the issue, and none have succeeded thus far. At one stage I was actually promised a replacement hub, which was then subsequently cancelled without my knowledge. Still got the same issue, and I've taken the decision to revert back to my old router for now. Maybe one day Vodafone will send me a hub that actually fully works, and allows me to fully utilise the service I am paying for?? 

Jayach

If the WiFi on the old hub works and on the new one it doesn't then it does sound like it may be faulty.

I think the new hub (THG3000) is on a par with most other ISP supplied hubs.

If you are unhappy with the service supplied by the support desk consider raising a complaint.

Vodafone complaints