Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New line installation

Bertiee
4: Newbie

Hello,

I've just signed up to broadband and I've been told I'll need an engineer visit to sort out a new line. Can anyone tell me what's involved in this? Are they going to be drilling through walls and laying cables? I'm a little confused as I do already have a phone line in the house, however when I try to make calls it says the number is not recognised (but something like 1471 will tell me I have no new calls) so there must be some connection to the phone system there!

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @Bertiee, if you need a new phone line installed, the Engineer will discuss your options with you, to find the best place to fit it and install the new phone socket in your home! The installation may take a few hours and once it's complete you'll be able to get up and running with your broadband! If you're still unsure of the process for getting your broadband installed and activated, please check out our website here.

Thanks for the reply, but I'd like to know what they actually do. I have to tell the landlord before any work is carried out. I know no one here can say for definite but I need an idea of what's involved. 

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Bertiee I certainly understand and appreciate your situation. The Engineer will need to do some work inside and outside your home to install the new line. This will include fitting and installing the new phone socket in your home, with the new line running through. Once it's been installed, the Engineer will then test the line to make sure it's working. I'd advise your landlord of this exact process 🙂

Loz,

I appreciate you're trying to help, but the generic answer you're giving isn't really helpful. It's quite obvious they'll have to do some work inside and out, but I'd like to know (probably from someone who has experienced it) whether we're talking about a few holes or taking up floorboards and knocking out channels in the wall to get the cable in. If it's the latter then I assume the engineer isn't going to come armed with plaster and paint to tidy things up. I know that no one will be able to say for definite what will happen at my specific house, but an idea of what I can expect is what I'm after.

Thanks

Thanks

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Bertiee The work that will need to be completed, will depend on your property and can vary from customer to customer. If you'd like us to see what further information we can get for you, please get in touch with us on our Social Media channels. You can speak to us via Facebook Messenger at Vodafone UK, or contact us on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. Please remember to include the link to this thread, along with your username.
@joeyv6 It's disappointing to hear you feel this way. Is there anything we can help you with?

You could provide me with the hardware that works much better that means I don’t have to switch the channels used by the WiFi on a weekely basis. I spent an hour on live chat again this last Sunday trying to resolve which ended up in me having to give them the solution which is a new router. However that will only hopefully solve the lost 5GHz issue and not the channel switching. 

If I’m totally honest the best thing you could do to help is let me leave the contract and go back to a supplier that just works. I’m that disappointed with vodafone that I just want to leave and be done with the nightmare 

the support link you posted is not working for new line installation

Can you provide step by step instructions on how to change a silver line to gold and who is responsible for completing the ORDI request?  BT says you are, you say BT, I CANNOT MOVE AND GOT STUCK and the contracts are signed on the 24th of August! HEEEEEELLLPPPP!!!

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@LAMBROPC1 wrote:

the support link you posted is not working for new line installation

Can you provide step by step instructions on how to change a silver line to gold and who is responsible for completing the ORDI request?  BT says you are, you say BT, I CANNOT MOVE AND GOT STUCK and the contracts are signed on the 24th of August! HEEEEEELLLPPPP!!!

I think you should really start a new thread for your query.

If you do a search on the forum for ORDI you will find that question has been asked a number of times without, I believe, any concrete answer.

I suspect you would be better off going with BT or someone else who has a better understanding of Openreach's systems.

joeyv6
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Honestly, the best advice you can have is to cancel the whole thing and go with someone else.  You're going to have to constantly 'switch channels' or hard reset the router as they just keep going wrong and have no ability to keep you on the best service.