Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No existing BT line

DaveW96
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm thinking of switching from Virgin, I have no BT line. The Vodafone chat line suggests this is not a problem but I'm not so sure. What will happen when a engineer turns up?

3 REPLIES 3

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Assuming you are talking about FTTC, that rather depends on how the the telephone cables are supplied where you live. If they are overhead they will presumably run a new cable from the nearest pole. If they are underground they may decide it's not worth laying in copper cable as it will be redundant in a few years. Do you know when your area is getting FTTP?

If it's FTTP the same applies, it depends on how the service is supplied where you live. Some are overhead using the existing telephone poles (sometimes with a few extra added) and some underground, but there will be no reason not to cut a trench for the fibre.

Existing lines are underground round here, though I am not connected,  and Openreach site says FTTC is available. So can I cancel my existing Virgin and assume a seamless switch of my broadband while getting connected to VF fibre?

Jayach

I definitely wouldn't cancel Virgin until the Vodafone is working. There is no automatic switching between the two as they are different technologies. If you try to synchronise the switch date you risk an extended down time.