cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ping spikes every 10-15 seconds, impossible to play online multiplayer games?

FUUUU
2: Seeker

I've been with Vodafone for 2 years, not had a single problem in terms of consistent connection while gaming, but as of around 2 days ago, my ping will constantly spike every 10-15 seconds to around 300-1000ms, which makes fast paced online gaming near impossible as the whole game pauses for a split second. Anyone else getting this? 

What can I do about this? I have tried two different routers, and also different PC's/consoles, and the same thing keeps happening. Below is a screenshot of what I mean. It happens all throughout the day, not just during peak hours. Download speed/upload speed are perfectly fine, streaming media isn't affected, only gaming as it requires a constant smooth connection. Screenshot 2023-03-23 195932.png

26 REPLIES 26

JG565

I am having the exact same issue. The connection has been perfectly fine for the last few months but over the last few days I have been having high ping spikes approximately every 10 seconds. I do not know what the solution here is so any help would be appreciated.

Hey @JG565 and @FUUUU I hope you're both well. If you haven't already, please reach out to the dedicated Broadband teams on 0333 304 0191 or via LiveChat so this can be investigated. You can also run a self diagnostic test on your lines and equipment to check for known outages, faults or issues. If anything is found, a ticket will automatically be raised to Tech or to the engineers for you. You will need to have an active My Vodafone account to do this though. 

It's currently saying there are no issues when I do the self diagnostic test, will try to call to get the issue resolved, was hoping it would be an easy fix. Issue still on-going, has been for 8 days now. 

I'm a new subscriber and I have just spent over a week trying to get this sorted, the tech people all do the same thing they all upload the firmware ( the same as that which was in the router in the first place), and go through endless resets, each one of which requires an 2 hour wait "for the connection to stabilise". When you call back it's a different person. I sent them a screen video of my ping tests showing the 10 second spikes, I tried to get them to look at this post to show that this is not a problem limited to me, they say they can't do that. I finally got them to view it by sending them a transcript, they didn't comment. All they're interested in is their router diagnostic test, which shows nothing, and therefore there is no fault. Because it's only an issue with live streaming there are probably a lot of people out there who have this problem but don't realise it. I found the problem when I watched a Zoom webinar where the feed had glitches every 10 seconds, and Zoom kept popping up telling me that my internet was unstable. Because my mobile signal is useless I use WiFi calling on my iPhone which goes through the router. When I was speaking to tech support they told me that I kept breaking up!!! Go figure. They tried to blame it on my WiFi.So I turned WiFi off and only connected to a single PC by ethernet. They finally sent me a new router which has exactly the same problem. I don't know if the line provider is a common issue here, mine is City Fibre. I'm at the end of my 14 day cooling off period todsy so I've cancelled my contract. Bye Bye Vodafone.

Did you manage to cancel your contract after the line was already installed and up and running? Might consider this...

Yes I did. Good luck.

kforce
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

5% packet loss!!

Exactly same issue here.  We Got our new Vodafone Broadband 500Mpbs installed Tuesday (28th March) in Greater London. All Green lights, 500Mpbs+ speed checker.  But Teams, Zoom, Xbox/PC games - Unplayable!!

Support say, give it 48hrs to install all updates!?

This is pinging the fortnite servers, look at thoes gaps !!  Our old rusty phoneline 60Mbps sky broadband, is 0% loss with a ping of 12mS (twice the speed!!!).  How can fibre be worse that copper from the 1970s??

https://youtube.com/shorts/GyruO2WaLMo?feature=share

I recently had what sounds like the same problem, now fixed by having Vodafone replace my THG3000 router. Just posting here to help others in the future since this appears to be a rare issue that Vodafone hasn't yet encountered enough to know how to deal with. 
(I'm using this thread since this is the community page that comes at the top of a web search for "Vodafone Broadband packet loss every 10 seconds" or similar. - Apologies to the original poster if this doesn't correlate with your specific issue.)
-
I noticed all my live streaming services (video conferencing, online games, etc) were stuttering very regularly on my Full Fibre (100mbps) connection that had been working fine for 6 months up to that point. The problem was persistent 24 hours a day. After running a packet loss test, found the connection was dropping completely every 10 seconds, for around 200-300 ms each time. (Note: packet loss test were performed using a single laptop connected to the router via ethernet, with no other devices connected to the router, and Wi-fi functionality turned off. Speed tests on the connection showed correct speeds.)

The 2nd Line Broadband Team tried several times to remotely install updates on both the fibre modem (ONC) and the router, they also asked Cityfibre to perform checks, but nothing fixed the problem. When I finally pushed hard enough, they agreed to send a replacement router to see if that would fix the problem (the tech on the other end explained that this had to be raised as an exception by their manager so, apparently, not a routine solution).
New router arrives (old one taken away by courier), connected up, and one more call made to 2nd Line team to get the new device up and running. The new router is remotely configured by the support tech, router is rebooted, and (finally) I have connectivity with no more packet loss.
This time, the tech I was put through to actually seems to know what they're doing, and helpfully explains a few reasons why I was experiencing this specific issue. I was advised that the precise regularity and persistency of the issue may have indicated a mixed hardware and software fault with the router, and how it processes (incoming) packets. - Apparently routers will utilise multiple lines of their circuitry and programming to receive data, and this occurs in a rotating cycle. If a router has, say, 10 lines to its processing of incoming data, it will use line 1, then 2, etc, in series ... and then, after line 10, cycle back to line 1 (no redundancies or parallel lines). It was likely that the circuitry/programming on one of these lines had somehow failed (unsure of cause), thus the regular dropout, but otherwise fine functionality the rest of the time. This localised failure couldn't be detected by the support team remotely, nor did it appear on any tests Cityfibre performed. Although I can't be sure that this is what caused the problem, and neither could the tech, it seems like a plausible explanation to me. (If anyone has expert knowledge of how the THG3000 is designed with respect to this, please do enlighten us here!)
Again, only posting here to help anyone who might experience exactly the same symptoms as I did in the future to help identify the source of the problem as potentially in the router, not on the rest of the line back up to Vodafone's gateways. It does seem like it's a very rare issue, so hopefully this will help anyone with the same problem hone in on a diagnosis faster than I did going through multiple calls with 2nd Line (whole thing took about 3 weeks to resolve).

Sorry I replied to the wrong post

I'm a new subscriber and I have just spent over a week trying to get this sorted, the tech people all do the same thing they all upload the firmware ( the same as that which was in the router in the first place), and go through endless resets, each one of which requires an 2 hour wait "for the connection to stabilise". When you call back it's a different person. I sent them a screen video of my ping tests showing the 10 second spikes, I tried to get them to look at this post to show that this is not a problem limited to me, they say they can't do that. I finally got them to view it by sending them a transcript, they didn't comment. All they're interested in is their router diagnostic test, which shows nothing, and therefore there is no fault. Because it's only an issue with live streaming there are probably a lot of people out there who have this problem but don't realise it. I found the problem when I watched a Zoom webinar where the feed had glitches every 10 seconds, and Zoom kept popping up telling me that my internet was unstable. Because my mobile signal is useless I use WiFi calling on my iPhone which goes through the router. When I was speaking to tech support they told me that I kept breaking up!!! Go figure. They tried to blame it on my WiFi.So I turned WiFi off and only connected to a single PC by ethernet. They finally sent me a new router which has exactly the same problem. I don't know if the line provider is a common issue here, mine is City Fibre. I'm at the end of my 14 day cooling off period todsy so I've cancelled my contract. Bye Bye Vodafone.