main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Replacement Openreach Drop Wire

Highlighted
4: Newbie

I was just looking to improve my FTTC VDSL2 Line coming in to my house. I was hoping to get to know more information on this and tell me how much will it be to get a new pure cooper drop wire connected to my house.

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
16: Advanced member

It's the sort of job that OpenReach will charge for based on how long the individual job takes, and what they have to do/use to get it done.

It's probably worthwhile finding out the distance from the cabinet to your property (customer services can check this for you), and what sort of speeds you should expect for that distance, else you could end up spending hundreds of pounds for little to no improvement!

View more options
4: Newbie

Its just from the pole to my house the pole is just outside my back garden

View more options
2: Seeker

Im an ex BT/Openreach engineer, Openreach will charge a considerable sum for the work you mention unless the dropwire is fauty. Is it the old flat grey dropwire with the groove between the pair and is there any sign of damage EG cracks or rust stains from the copper coated steel conductor if so it would be replaced as a potential fault liability but wouldnt make much difference to line speed. If it is a copper dropwire your out of luck you would need to pay for the work. Replacing a short length of dropwire is highly unlikely to make any perceiveable difference to line speed as many other factors come into play, line length from the green roadside cabinet, conductor size and type, it could be an aluminium conductor in sections of the underground network which does make a big difference.

View more options