main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Router uprgade

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hi im looking to upgrade my standard huawei router 

I was looking to get an Asus RT-AC1200g+ would that work ? and is it difficult to replace it?

Cheers

View more options
4 REPLIES 4

Hey @patryks, you're more than welcome to use your own router. We accept most third party models 👍 Just get in touch with our Broadband Live Chat team and they'll give you all the details your need to get you up and running.

View more options
16: Advanced member

The Asus RT-AC1200g+ ON ITS OWN will not work, you'd also need to pair it with a modem (the Huawei HHG2500 VF supply is a combo modem+router).  The xDSL version of the RT-AC1200g+ is the DSL-AC55U, but I'd suggest you look at some of the online reviews before you go for it!  While I'm a fan of my "Meshed" RT-AC86U & RT-AC68U, when it comes to modem/router combos, TP-Link and Billion (again read the specific model reviews) seem to be more popular!

View more options
2: Seeker

Hi Kieth,

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't be the most tech savy person. Could you please explain why would I have the two of them connectected together? Is there a diffrent router that would completely remove the use of the Vodafone box ?

Thanks

View more options
16: Advanced member

Okay, so I'm assuming you have VDSL (Superfast 1 or 2).

In that situation, a VDSL modem is required to take the signal from the phone line and turn it into a usable data stream.  You'd then have a router, which just takes a usable data stream and works as a distribution and management hub so that you can have multiple devices connected (you can connect just a single device directly to a modem if you wanted).

So we tend to end up with three different types of devices:

Modem makes the data sent down the phone line usable

Router manages and distributes data in a local network

Modem/router the combo device which Vodafone and most of their competitors supply to the end-users.

So if you made the mistake of just getting a router, you'd have no socket on the wall that you could plug it into for your internet.  You could plug it into the existing modem/router (via one of the LAN ports), but you then potentially get various other problems.

I hope that's enough to be getting on with, it really is a very rough description....

View more options