Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Self-rebooting Gigafast Routers and Apple Devices

Hot_Penguin
3: Seeker

I had Gigafast Broadband installed in December 2018. Everything worked flawlessly up until about six weeks ago when my router started to reboot itself, occasionally at first but then constantly in phases. I had several Nest and Amazon devices connected and they soon complained when they kept losing their internet connections. I also had a Philips hue bridge, and Sky boxes connected in addition to a few computers, tablets and phones. Importantly, all my devices were the same as when Gigafast Broadband was first intalled.

About 4 weeks ago, I contacted Vodafone (VF) Tech Support and followed their standard advice, which involved connecting and disconnecting devices and changing cables. This time-consuming work made no difference. Later, I installed a new Gigafast router (with updated firmware) that VF sent me, and this made no difference. An engineer came and checked the fibre optic cable and connection, which were fine, and changed the ONT box. This made no difference; the router continued to self-boot. About two weeks ago, my fault was elevated up the tech support chain to Level 3 but I have not heard anything back from them.

Also, about two weeks ago, I finally worked out that my iPhone XS Max seemed to be the culprit. When I took my phone away from my home, the router rebooted, and when I came home with my phone the router rebooted. To be fair, VF Tech Support had advised me that there were reports of issues with Apple devices, but they had not been specific. Their advice was to update to the latest version of iOS. I did this; I updated to iOS 13.1.3. The router only stopped rebooting when I also reset the network settings on the phone. So I was happy again.

Everything was dandy up until yesterday when the router started rebooting again. I noticed that my iPad Pro (2015) had updated itself to iPadOS 13.2, and my Apple Watch 4 to WatchOS 6.1. My iPhone was unchanged, and yet on testing, it appeared to be the culprit again. I updated the iPhone to iOS 13.2 and everything is stable again – for how long, who knows!!

What I can deduct from my experience is the following:

• iOS 13 looks like it is may be causing significant issues with some Gigafast routers - others have reported similar problems on this Forum. My rebooting issue seems to have started around the same time that iOS 13 was first released in September. People who read about these things will know that iOS 13 has had lots of bugs and caused a host of problems.
  • VF need to fix this issue – I’m assuming it’s a router firmware update that is required. It would be welcome, and even good practice, if VF contacted customers, who have reported issues, to acknowledge that there is an issue and it was working on a solution.

I feel I am being left in the dark.

54 REPLIES 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like an issue with the code that runs the router.  Generally, the router code is *supposed* to conform to certain standards, and if devices misbehave, it should be the device data that is *at worst* ignored - ie it's supposed to be fault-tolerant.

Obviously that doesn't help you, but it would seem to identify a thread that is becoming more and more common on these boards!

garywoodward

Just wanted to jump in and share my experience on this.  I have had the same issue (started a few weeks ago), we contacted Vodafone who sent out a new router next day having checked the line, but the reboots continued with the new router.  I was surprised to find out I wasn't the only one having the problem in the Peterborough area!

Having found the other thread about 'System Self' rebooting (which is the same as what was happening to us) and learned that Apple devices might be causing issues I attempted to reset network settings on all my Apple devices, these included: Two iPhones, two iPads, a Macbook Pro and an Apple TV (they aren't all mine 😂).

So far so good, the broadband hasn't done a System Self reboot since I did this on all the devices.

Here are some links to help with the settings:

HowToGeek - Reset Network Settings iOS 

Get Help with Wi-Fi Networks on your Apple TV 

WikiHow - Reset Network Settings on PC or Mac

One thing I have noticed is that the reset caused the device names on iPad and iPhone to reset, so if you have custom names set up, be sure to put them back after the device reboots (if you know, you know...)

Hope this helps someone, it seems to have cured things for me.

boardmann
4: Newbie

Hi, If you have Vodafones latest router the Vox 3,  apparently the issue lies with the Apple Watch.

I have the same issue as youself and the directors office have just today informed me that there is a conflict between the two devices that causes the router to crash randomly.

I've been experiencing nearly identical symptoms. I'm on my second router, but the problem persists. Just noticed a reset almost right after I put my Apple Watch (S2 watchOS 6.1) to charge. I waited for the broadband to return. Took the watch off charge, unlocked it, placed it back on charge. The router reset again... Seems to be Apple Watch related. 

I've got an engineer visiting this week, as my speeds are so low (45 down, should be 67) and the quantity of drops warrant it apparently, but I don't know what they'll be able to fix. 

Since my original post on this discussion, my Vodafone Gigafast router started rebooting again after eight days of stability. It was my iPhone again - updating it to iOS 13.2.2 and resetting the network settings on the phone did not solve the issue this time round. So, following some suggestions I had read, I disabled the WiFi on the VF router (thereby making it essentially a cable modem) and attached my own WiFi Router to it (an Asus RT-AC68U). This means that all WiFI connections are managed by the Asus router rather than the VF one. Another consideration is the firmware on the Asus router is updated regularly, which I think makes it a bit more robust. So I am back to stability again.

I have again been in contact with the directors office who assure me that they are aware of the issues and a new firmware is in the late stages of being tested. Apparently it will be pushed out to all the new routers shortly but that doesn't really help in the meantime.

At least they are aware and the new firmware is on its way, still frustrating!

I wonder if the new firmware doesn't fix this is if Vodafone will be paying for 3rd party routers to keep customers from switching?

Yes very frustrating, I've had my Apple Watch turned off whilst I've been at home for the last 24 hours and no self reboots on the Router.

Just thought I would test the issue, looks like they are correct. 
Doubt that Vodafone would supply third part routers to its all its customer if the issue continues might possibly get a refund of monthly premiums due to lack of connectivity if we're lucky.

Great to hear you were eventually able to speak to someone from the "directors office". I submitted a formal written complaint on 10 November after three weeks of the router resetting itself and calls and online chats to try and resolve it (including delivery of a new router). 

Vodafone repeatedly failed to honour promises of call backs, delivery and compensation and finally promised a 48hr response time to the written complaint. Four days after submitting it I've got nothing. A call to the complaints team last night was redirected to the tech team because complaints were overloaded. The tech denied Apple products have anything to do with the issue and said the complaints team would call me back. No call yet last night or today and zero faith I'll get one.