main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Server connection location

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
3: Seeker

My line reset last night and connected to a server miles away from where I live. I had a stable connection to a server that was a couple of miles from my home (Manchester) but for some reason it changed to one in Kent. I have reset my router a couple of times but it is still picking up locations in the south. I noticed the server changed from big fella north to big fella south. The one im connected to now isn't too bad latency and speed wise but its took a couple of resets to find a decent one, im hoping this one is steady but can't see it being as stable as the Manchester one I was connected to. Does anyone know why this would happen and is it likely to automatically change to a more local one again? Cheers

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @ZABBA, It sounds as if your service has moved over to a different BNG, which is a central server on our core network that routes traffic. This happens sometimes for various reasons. There’s nothing to worry about with this, your service automatically swaps over to another BNG and you shouldn’t really notice and difference.

Blair

View more options
4 REPLIES 4
14: Advanced member

am i right in thinking your internet re sync and the speed test server is saying kent , 

if that is the case the server locations has nothing to do with resetting your router and the speed test server has a setting called change location on it , you can even pick one in egypy or france or like you say manchester

a vpn you can change location 

i can not think of a single reason why you think resetting your router is going to change anything apart from drop your speed , because the digital Line Management is going to think there is some thing wrong with your phone line and will lower the speed 

View more options

No, i mean what server the exchange is connected to. On iptools it tells you which one it uses and where it is based, im not too fussed at the moment cause its a decent connection, im getting roughly the same speed although slightly higher latency which won't be noticeable anyway. Just hope it stays this way and doesn't connect to the previous one again cause it was unusable on that server. Oh and im well aware of dlm, think you need to be when being a customer of Vodafone.

Update: 

My line reset again last night and has moved me back to a local server, best latency and speed I've ever had as well which is a bonus. 👍

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @ZABBA, It sounds as if your service has moved over to a different BNG, which is a central server on our core network that routes traffic. This happens sometimes for various reasons. There’s nothing to worry about with this, your service automatically swaps over to another BNG and you shouldn’t really notice and difference.

Blair

View more options

Ah, finally someone that's clued up and understands what was going on with my connection. I asked on Twitter but got the generic "its a wifi issue" so thanks for clearing it up. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often though cause even though you said it shouldn't be noticeable, it was when mine switched to a gateway miles away. My speed and latency dipped considerably but like i added the other day thankfully it connected back to a more local one and all is fine again. 👌

View more options