Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Server connection location

ZABBA
3: Seeker

My line reset last night and connected to a server miles away from where I live. I had a stable connection to a server that was a couple of miles from my home (Manchester) but for some reason it changed to one in Kent. I have reset my router a couple of times but it is still picking up locations in the south. I noticed the server changed from big fella north to big fella south. The one im connected to now isn't too bad latency and speed wise but its took a couple of resets to find a decent one, im hoping this one is steady but can't see it being as stable as the Manchester one I was connected to. Does anyone know why this would happen and is it likely to automatically change to a more local one again? Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @ZABBA, It sounds as if your service has moved over to a different BNG, which is a central server on our core network that routes traffic. This happens sometimes for various reasons. There’s nothing to worry about with this, your service automatically swaps over to another BNG and you shouldn’t really notice and difference.

Blair

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

am i right in thinking your internet re sync and the speed test server is saying kent , 

if that is the case the server locations has nothing to do with resetting your router and the speed test server has a setting called change location on it , you can even pick one in egypy or france or like you say manchester

a vpn you can change location 

i can not think of a single reason why you think resetting your router is going to change anything apart from drop your speed , because the digital Line Management is going to think there is some thing wrong with your phone line and will lower the speed 

No, i mean what server the exchange is connected to. On iptools it tells you which one it uses and where it is based, im not too fussed at the moment cause its a decent connection, im getting roughly the same speed although slightly higher latency which won't be noticeable anyway. Just hope it stays this way and doesn't connect to the previous one again cause it was unusable on that server. Oh and im well aware of dlm, think you need to be when being a customer of Vodafone.

Update: 

My line reset again last night and has moved me back to a local server, best latency and speed I've ever had as well which is a bonus. 👍

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @ZABBA, It sounds as if your service has moved over to a different BNG, which is a central server on our core network that routes traffic. This happens sometimes for various reasons. There’s nothing to worry about with this, your service automatically swaps over to another BNG and you shouldn’t really notice and difference.

Blair

Ah, finally someone that's clued up and understands what was going on with my connection. I asked on Twitter but got the generic "its a wifi issue" so thanks for clearing it up. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often though cause even though you said it shouldn't be noticeable, it was when mine switched to a gateway miles away. My speed and latency dipped considerably but like i added the other day thankfully it connected back to a more local one and all is fine again. 👌

CIP18

I have the exact same issue i've calle them and they said they cant do nothing about it. What is thought it that due to the IP address changing every time you power cycle the router, it gives it a new IP address which if put into a IP lookup website it can give a rough location of where it is. Every time i reset my router it changed, but also did the location, but when i searched up on my computer "what is my location" withhout using a VPN or anything it keeps saying a location much further away than where i live. When i first got the broadband the technician told me to run a speed test using Speedtest.net by OOkla the one he told he to use. The server i got connected to was Bracknell as the main server and i asked him if its the right one he said yes. I got a very good result on everything especially my ping, 6ms. I live in Northampton which is rougly 60 miles. If i run the exact speed test using the same website/software (SpeedTest.net) with the exact same setup computer,ethernet cable, same everything i get 12ms on Bracknell, sometimes higher and on Watford which i closer to me 14 or higher. My main issues is that it thinks that im closer to Manchester so they connect me to the Manchester servers as i read in another Vodafone FAQ that there are two main servers London and Manchester, so depending on how close you are to whichever one thats the one you will connect to. I tried powering off my router by unplugging it from the wall for 1 min or more then plugging it back in checking if my IP changed which it did and my location but still forces me to connect to Manchester. Also my ping in every single game i play is higher by at least 10 ping, which may not sound like much but after paying a very expensive price for full fibre to the home i would be expecting the ping to be lower considering it was earlier when i purchased the broadband. PLS someone help :Smiling: