cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Speed limiting Broadband FTTC connection?

fleddy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I joined Vodafone Home Broadband almost two years ago, in July 2019.

My download connection speed has recently dropped to 17.998Mb/s, with 12dB of noise margin.
This is the DSL negotiated connection speed. My router indicates the maximum speed could be
higher, but this is the settled speed. There are next to NO ERRORs occuring on the downstream
connection, over weeks of connection time.

Everytime I reconnect, it connects at exactly 17.998Mb/s. A year ago this was 24.998Mb/s everytime.

Something has changed, all I see is my NoiseMargin has increased from 9dB to 12dB, Downstream errors are
still nearly negligable.

Background
==========

I opted for the Superfast 1 option as I didn't expect to get more than a 35Mbit/s connection.

Upon connection I got exactly 24.998Mbit/s connectivity, so qualified for a discount, getting
less than 25Mb/s, which though disappointing was useful. I initialled queried the connection but
after a discussion and some checks, was told that my options were i) accept the discount and
make no further speed complaints or ii) be released from contract and go elsewhere.

I opted for the discount, which made my connection £17.85/month for 24.998Mb/s. Not too shabby.

BUT it has recently dropped to 17.998Mb/s. This is the routers DSL negotiated connection speed, not
a measured broadband speed.

Previously I had connections speeds OVER 30Mb/s as measured and recorded on ThinkBroad.

I use a DrayTek 2760 router normally. I get the same speed results with the supplied Vodafone router, which has limited functionality, so I prefer to use the Draytek, it has a lot more features and useful data on the connect (visible to me).

15 REPLIES 15

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@gipjon wrote:

I could be wrong but I thought you can upgrade the firmware to standard on the bt home hubs so you can use the hub on any isp

I don't believe you can, at least not easily. It's possible to run OpenWrt on a HH5, but it requires soldering on a serial port. [OpenWrt Wiki] BT Home Hub 5.0 Type A

Jayach

fleddy

If you are out of contract with VF, then changing ISP is probably the best idea.

If BT don't have any good deals, perhaps try PlusNet as they are owned by BT so should hopefully have the same connections to Openreach. (if such connections exist, they say they don't)

If you go via a comparison site such as the moneysavingexpert one you should be able to get an £80 reward voucher for switching.

gipjon

And not forgetting ee .thats also another bt company. 

Plenty of vodafone routers fir a fiver on facebook market place.

The reason i asked about the minimum guaranteed speed is because if you are below your minimum guaranteed speed you are well in your rights to tell vodafone who should make a appointment to send a openreach engineer out .

Hi,

Again, many thanks for your replies.

I am below the guaranteed speed. Superfast 1 is 25Mb/s. THey've given me a discount for that... it's dropped further.

I tried OpenWRT, it didn't have the v.DSL code when I tried it, I have a very good DrayTek with everything I need. All the other routers I've had from ISPs are pretty poor in comparison.

I'll wait till there's a BT deal. I tried EE, they're cheaper and but don't seem have much motivation to try to fix a problem.

When I had a tree fell through the line. The guys from WesternPower said if I was BT it'd be fixed in a few hours. I had to wait a week. WesternPower had done their bit before 9am after a 3am gale.

I'll report back, still not found the router. I'll not buy another, it's easier to switch ISP as I'm out of contract.

Cheers

Am also below Impacted speed on OpenReach/BT Wholesale.

It's a programmed limit, not the line.

I took a 15% discount and free static instead... still waiting for Fibre in the area.

Emailed Openreach CEO, very nice guy called back in a few days, gave me the good news I only have 18 months to wait. I thought it was longer.