Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000 OneMesh Compatibility

AnnieBody01
4: Newbie

Hi

Previously, I used TalkTalk with a TP-Link AC1750 extender. This covered my whole house.

As the WiFi from the THG3000 is lower (much lower) I have had to install a second AC1750. Installing the second extender has given me problems with the WiFi dropping out and the devices having to keep logging off and onto WiFi mode.

TP-Link have now advised the AC1750s will not work autonomously with a router unless it is OneMesh compatible, which again my TalkTalk router was.

Does anyone know if the THG3000 is compatible with OneMesh and if so what do I need to change in the settings to get a whole house WiFi signal.

If not, can anyone recommend an alternative modem that works with current standards, such as OneMesh and Gigafast!

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should still be able to set up the AC1750s in repeater mode - unless TP-Link has removed this.  Repeater mode does not rely on "One-Mesh",  However having multiple repeaters will drop your WiFi throughput dramatically.

As you already have the two AC1750s you could try this, though I'll give you no guarantees it'll work well, if it works at all:

Set one AC1750 up as an access point and plug it into the VF router.  Once you've done that, and changed the WiFi settings on it, and turn off the WiFi on the VF router.  Now set up the second AC1750 as a One-Mesh node, and move it to where you need it!  No guarantees - but that should work!

*Unless the ability to set the TP-Link AC1750 has recently had the various modes it can run in altered, I believe you may have had bad advice from TP-Link support!

**Depending on TP-Links implementation Mesh systems lose less throughput with multiple nodes than just using multiple repeaters.

The original AC1750 did just work in repeater mode, but since they forced the app to set up this no longer works.

The issue I have when not using OneMesh is that I either get a low signal as all devices are working against each other when using the same SSID or use different SSID and have to keep turning off and on the Wifi when I  move about.

As far as I am concerned having to do this is not WiFi!

It has to be OneMesh through whatever means, although, if I have to change the router I suspect I can get one that will generate a sufficient wifi signal on its own. It will also have to work with ADSL as I wouldn't expect to remain with Vodafone given all the problems their service has given me.

It appears they push out Gigafast without paying any heed to using it with WiFi or phones.

I'll get a better overall experience with 68Mb through a provider that understands current technology and how to implement it.

In the meantime, my question was about OneMesh capability of the Vodafone router.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One-Mesh is a proprietary system, just as the mesh systems from other suppliers are, as such they are not supported by third party vendors.  The web interface on the AC1750/RE450 has not been disabled, however in order to access it you need to follow the instructions in the downloadable user guide: https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201807/20180710/1910012368_RE450_UG_REV3.0.0.pdf

Section 4.2 of the full manual tells you how to set up the device as an access point,

If TP-Link technical support advise me that the extender requires a router with OneMesh to work as I want, then I believe them and the technical reasons why this should be.

That is why I have asked the community whether or not the THG3000 supports OneMesh.

The link provided is a manufacturer's data sheet that assumes the router is OneMesh capable. It does not explain the problems associated with undertaking their advised setup with a non OneMesh setup which is what I have; hence my question.

"That is why I have asked the community whether or not the THG3000 supports OneMesh."
Having seen no mention of OneMesh anywhere on the router, the router box, or any online reviews of the router, it's highly probable that the answer is simply "no". 

I've removed the Vodafone supplied router from my GigaFast connection and am using a FRITZ!Box 7530 that I had from my previous ISP.  The 7530 does support Mesh WiFi though again no mention of OneMesh, but the wireless coverage is pretty good in my situation (router in downstairs lounge, PC in upstairs back bedroom), consistently connecting at over 700mbps. 

Did you have to return your TalkTalk router when you changed to Vodafone?  If not, could you press it back into use as an access point connected via ethernet to your Vodafone router?  Not an ideal setup with so many seperate boxes etc, but may work for you. 

By the way, the link you provided just led me to the manual which I have.

When you connect as advised the website states that you can  no longer connect to the exetneder using this webpage. When you try using the IP address provided it times out. According to TP-Link you should be able to connect, but in practice I have found this to be impossible due to updates to the website and firmware. TP-Link have not replied to my questions on how you now achieve this. It appear this functionality has been removed rendering the device little more than useless. This is why I no longer use TP-Link.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I managed to get access to a single RE450v3 with the latest firmware in order to test what I'd posted regards using it as an access point.  The ability has not been removed, however, you do have to follow the instructions like a complete pedant, first setting it up as an extender, and then altering it to work as an access point.  While the setup only takes a couple of minutes if you do mess up it's often easier to start again from scratch.

*You'll almost always have more luck contacting the extender using http://tplinkrepeater.net than if you try to use the devices initial IP address.  

Can you explain why the extender WiFi signal is at 76% but the Wifi speed keeps dropping to zero?

This happens on both extenders set up the same with only one on.

It appears the extender is not capable of providing a stable WiFi signal of any use.