cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using own router after Fibre Upgrade - Is a password needed?

Vonsworld
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I've been happily using my own TP-Link router with Vodafone for a couple of years, the help desk gave me the ADSL username and password to login.

However Vodafone have informed me that in 3 weeks Openreach are coming to upgrade my copper line to fibre. The TP-Link router can be used with a Fibre Modem (ONT), but my question is does it need a username and password, and will that be the same as the ADSL login I have already been given?

I was thinking it might be a good idea to swap back to my old Vodafone router before the installation, because the help desk will only support their own router if there are any initial problems.

Thanks for your advice

Robin

4 REPLIES 4

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

An upgrade means a new service, which also comes with a new login. Your PPPoE details are freely available from customer support once your new service is activated.

Always a good idea to use the Vodafone router for the initial install. As you point out, they won't support third party routers.

How old is the tp-link router?

Thanks for your reply.

It's a TP-Link AC2800, it was their best router for VDSL a couple of years ago and appears to be compatible with a fibre modem.

Ripshod

Any router with PPPoE on the WAN is compatible. You're good to go.

Have a look at some of the tp-link posts on the forums asking about connection, so you have an idea what you're looking at for setup.

_rik_
4: Newbie

Is this thing of asking for user/password to use my own router still in place in 2024? (Since I'm about to switch operator I'd rather one without extra hassles).