Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone LLU C&W

nick_london
4: Newbie

Does Vodafone Broadband still use the former Cable and Wireless LLU set up? Last time I was with Vodafone Broadband it was I was told, this explains why it was very good.

I believe Home telecom also use the C&W network too

I know the telephone service was not unbundled but worked as CPS provider, the line was provided by BT and all freephone calls and 999 calls went through BT but chargeable calls went through the Vodafone (C&W) network. Many years ago it was necessary to dial 131,132 or have an auto dialler but things changed so that you didn't have to dial extra numbers or require equipment just to route calls over the C&W network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

In almost the whole of the UK the local loop is the property of OpenReach, but some companies who take up the ability of LLU have better infrastructure than others.  With Vodafone that infrastructure includes ownership of the former C&WW - Cable and Wireless Worldwide.

Where the hand over from Openreach to Vodafone takes place varies from location to location.  It could be as close as the nearest major exchange, or it could be that you stay within the Openreach network right up to the Vodafone data centre.  Thanks to redundancy and fall-back systems, it could be that there is more than one route between your equipment and the VF data centre.

The thing is, that if it's working (well hopefully), then how it works should be completely and utterly transparent!

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

In almost the whole of the UK the local loop is the property of OpenReach, but some companies who take up the ability of LLU have better infrastructure than others.  With Vodafone that infrastructure includes ownership of the former C&WW - Cable and Wireless Worldwide.

Where the hand over from Openreach to Vodafone takes place varies from location to location.  It could be as close as the nearest major exchange, or it could be that you stay within the Openreach network right up to the Vodafone data centre.  Thanks to redundancy and fall-back systems, it could be that there is more than one route between your equipment and the VF data centre.

The thing is, that if it's working (well hopefully), then how it works should be completely and utterly transparent!

Thankyou!