cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone WiFi Hub - expected behaviour during line problems (or when disconnected)

dingdongdang
2: Seeker

TLDR: Can line problems cause services (e.g. admin portal) to crash on the wifi hub?

My hub reboots itself roughly every 90 minutes (with reboot cause "System Self"), after which I can use it normally for about 10 minutes. When the 10 minutes are up, connected devices stay connected and line speeds seem normal. I can still ping the hub's IP, but the admin portal doesn't load anymore, wifi authentication fails and wired devices can't get an IP address with dhcp. Resetting to factory defaults, unplugging and re-plugging all cables and leaving the power off for 15 minutes doesn't change this behaviour.

I manged to speak to a tech in the support chat who only seemed to consider line problems. Apparently his diagnostic tools detected "something" and that it should be fixed now. The problems with my hub "should solve themselves". Of course that didn't happen. Before I go through the whole thing again with a support tech I wanted ask what the expected behaviour of the hub is when there are line problems. Is there a watchdog timer of sorts that could actually cause this behaviour?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's in no way normal!  Most similar equipment will quietly sit there trying to re-establish a VDSL connection while all internal network options should remain up and functioning.

Thanks, that's what I thought too. Shame most ISPs insist on these all in one devices - they really aren't particularly reliable.

dingdongdang

3 support chats and one (presumably BT?) engineer swinging by my house wasting his time checking a line that was never having issues, and I still don't have this solved. The last tech told me I would receive a phone call to get my router replaced within 24 hours - that was 4 days ago, and of course I did not get a phone call.

I'd like to just get this solved and move on, but I am really wondering now at what point Vodafone's ineptitude can be considered a breach of contract?

Had a 2 hour phone call yesterday with Vodafone support. They still won't do anything about my router, and instead scheduled another openreach engineer to check the line. That engineer should have come this morning, but instead I got a phone call from the "Openreach rescheduling department" this afternoon, telling me they didn't make it today. Well, duh....

Honestly, the whole support system seems to be more about defeating customers than actually helping them. I never cared much about Vodafone not matching the promised speeds, because it was usually close enough and I didn't want to be "that guy". However, going forward I will be pushing the discount button on the vodafone app whenever sync speed is too low. At least I'll (hopefully) get something back that way, but more importantly my goal is to ensure I have a fast enough line for vodafone support to deal with the actual problem I am facing next time, instead of mucking around with the line. For their own sake, I encourage anyone reading this to do the same. Ironically I have to power cycle the router to connect the app though....