main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

Why does my home broadband keep dropping?

3: Seeker

I've just finished my 2 year contract for home broadband with Vodafone, and have been pretty disappointed. From the very beginning, the connection has been dropping several times a day. This happens in every room (near and far from router) and happens for about 15-20 seconds each time. It's REALLY frustrating when listening to the radio on my phone, when it'll cut out mid-interview and I miss stuff, or I just have to sit there while it comes back while I try and refresh a page. It really only affects my mobile that I notice (iPhone). 

I've tried restarting the router etc.

Does anyone know why this might be? I will switch to Virgin or another provider if it's not easily resolved. 

Thanks,

Megan

View more options
2 REPLIES 2

Hey @Meg00, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry to hear about the problems you've had with your internet connection and apologise for any inconvenience this might have caused.

Do you only have these issues over Wi-Fi, or do you get these drop outs on a wired connection too? If you have trouble keeping a stable connection on certain devices, you can using different channels: 

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Using your phone

1. Download the Vodafone Broadband app
  2. Pair the broadband app to the router
  3. Choose My Wi-Fi and then Wi-Fi channels
  4. On iOS, try channels 1-13 to find the best one / On Android, select the channel with the lowest number  

Using your computer

1. Connect your device to the router with an Ethernet cable or use the Wi-Fi, as long as it doesn’t drop out
  2. Open a new web page and enter 192.168.1.1
  3. Log in using your router password or type vodafone if you haven’t created one
  4. Choose Expert mode in the top right of the screen
  5. Choose Wi-Fi from the red banner
  6. Choose Wi-Fi Settings from the tab on the left and you will now be able to charge WI-FI channels (1, 6 and 11 are recommended

Give these a try and let me know if there's any improvement, if not I'll be happy to investigate further for you. 

View more options
3: Seeker

Thanks TJ - I'll try that and get back to you.

Megan

View more options